VOGONS

First post, by flonky_tash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any idea if these will work with DOS/Windows 3.11 on an old 486 Motherboard? (Obviously not the usb)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCI-USB-PS2-CONTROLL … D/dp/B003TX6932

Reply 1 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is only a USB card with a PS/2 to USB bridge. It isn't gonna work in pure DOS or Win3.x, only on hardware with out of box support for USB and HID devices (98 and newer pretty much).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 6, by flonky_tash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote:

It is only a USB card with a PS/2 to USB bridge. It isn't gonna work in pure DOS or Win3.x, only on hardware with out of box support for USB and HID devices (98 and newer pretty much).

Ahhh of course, nevermind then, thanks for your help 😀

Trying to find a solution to get the mouse on my KVM working with my 486. It doesn't seem to like being converted from PS/2 to USB - back to PS/2 and then to serial! Keyboard works fine though, that goes PS/2 to USB - PS/2 to Keyboard DIN.

Reply 3 of 6, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You want an active PS/2 to serial adapter. It's a fairly simple (even hobby-level) converter, so you should be able to find one online. It's not a passive adapter, it requires a microcontroller to convert protocols. It's on my to-do list, right under laundry and bodywork on my old VW....

Reply 4 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are you wanting the PS/2 adapter for? some 486s come with a ps/2 header on the mobo. Just need cabling and a suitable back plate.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 6, by flonky_tash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

What are you wanting the PS/2 adapter for? some 486s come with a ps/2 header on the mobo. Just need cabling and a suitable back plate.

Sadly, the motherboard I have doesn't appear to have a PS/2 header. Surprising really, considering it's got PCI, it should be almost "modern".

Reply 6 of 6, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have three 486 motherboards and two 386 motherboards. Zero PS/2 headers. In fact, the only PS/2 ports I have on any system before the Pentium is on OEM boxen. An actual PS/2, a Dell 386SX, and an AST 486SX all have them built-in. I would love to find a consistently supported and reliable way to add PS/2 mouse support just to make life easier with switch boxen.