VOGONS

First post, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed XP professional on a Compaq Presario (I'm planning to swap out the case and motherboard sooner or later) but the PC keeps telling me to activate it. I can get the internet working just fine on Windows 10 but on XP it won't load any pages or anything. Even just plugging the ethernet into the PC doesn't do a thing regardless of drivers.

Reply 1 of 13, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume phone activation still works if you'll never want XP online anyway.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phone activation does work. But since Microsoft does not support it, it's much easier to download Win XP SP3 from torrents and don't bother with activation at all.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 13, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, disable your LAN adapter in XP when you're done... it's a harsh world out there. Probably not sensible to download torrents without anti-virus too, and even then...

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 4 of 13, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it is fine to have windows xp pc connected to internet. Just make sure you have firewall that blocks all the incoming connections to that PC and don't go to any shady web sites.

Reply 6 of 13, by MrGenius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

...download Win XP SP3 from torrents and don't bother with activation at all.

Or...if you don't do torrents(which I personally don't):
EDIT: LINK REMOVED. Plenty of "auto-activating" versions there.

Or...if you want to be a bit more legit(like if you just need service packs and/or updates):
WSUS Offline v9.2.4. Get all your XP service packs and updates all in one go. 😉

Side note: It won't get you the WE/POSReady updates though. Still have to get those via Windows/Microsoft Update(or the Update Catalog).

Last edited by Stiletto on 2019-05-23, 01:51. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed: warez

Reply 7 of 13, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh... WSUS Offline. Hadn't heard of that. Good tip.

Still trying to find one of those.. ehhh... "self-activation" methods that works reliably. It really irks me that I have a legitimate, retail copy of XP Pro, box, media, the whole nine yards, but I can't just click the Activate button anymore. I don't like that I ever had to, but now that I can't, I like it even less. Who knows how long the phone workaround will exist. I'm OK paying the piper, but I really want a final solution instead of relying on asking Microsoft for permission to use the software I bought.

Reply 8 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

But since Microsoft does not support it

Seems like someone forgot to tell Microsoft, they released another patch just last week.
https://www.howtogeek.com/414804/still-on-win … y-or-get-wormed

Reply 9 of 13, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

Huh... WSUS Offline. Hadn't heard of that. Good tip.

Still trying to find one of those.. ehhh... "self-activation" methods that works reliably. It really irks me that I have a legitimate, retail copy of XP Pro, box, media, the whole nine yards, but I can't just click the Activate button anymore. I don't like that I ever had to, but now that I can't, I like it even less. Who knows how long the phone workaround will exist. I'm OK paying the piper, but I really want a final solution instead of relying on asking Microsoft for permission to use the software I bought.

If/when MS ever cut off activation for legitimate customers I don't see a problem with using the same method Dell, Lenovo etc. systems auto activate offline. No need to now though.

Reply 10 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like someone forgot to tell Microsoft

They still don't support it. They had to do it in this instance, but only because it's really huge exploit and a lot ot ATMs are still using WinXP.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Seems like someone forgot to tell Microsoft

They still don't support it. They had to do it in this instance, but only because it's really huge exploit and a lot ot ATMs are still using WinXP.

Who's fault is that?
I'm not complaining, We have a few XP/2003 PC's running industrial machines still worth close to 1 million so its not like they are getting upgraded soon.
but likewise I don't expect MS to support something they pulled the plug on a good few years ago.
Just like dosbox is for games not business programs. if it works hey great but we aren't responsible if it all goes terribly wrong.

Reply 12 of 13, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I need to replace the hard drive for my IBM ThinkPad R40 laptop with an SSD solution (mSATA to 44 pin 2.5" IDE), 64GB mSATA SSD, and writing the hard drive image I placed on my main desktop PC with Linux and expand the storage to the full 64GB (about 61GB or so).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13 of 13, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For tier-1 laptop-manufactures usually there is an so called Windows XP OEM activation. BIOS of their laptops usually contents a special brand string.
So you just need to get a Windows XP distribution for the brand of your laptop and install. No activation will be needed.
Also there is software utilities (they are maybe illegal) that make OEM version and OEM activation of already installed retail version of Windows XP.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]