VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all,

So I got a 386DX/40 (I swear I have gone through more of these in the last few years than in the 90s) Elite mainboard, nothing fancy. Well actually it came with an ATI Graphics Solution 3 Hercules card that I have had no luck getting to work in another 386 in dual screen mode but that's for another thread (anyone got the driver disk for it?). Otherwise pretty standard fare.

It all works and I decided to add a CDROM (Soundcard header) and a ZIP drive (IDE slave). I plunked in a 270 Mb Prodrive LTS with DOS 6.22 preloaded and it boots just fine. Plug in the ZIP100 drive and they do not interfere with each other. GUEST.EXE finds the drive, assigns it a letter, and then when I go to D:\, I get Invalid drive or whatnot. Unplugging the drive and running GUEST.EXE says that there's no drives found. OK, I tried another ZIP100 - same. Booted with minimal, then no, drivers at all. Downgraded to DOS 6. Booted off a fresh DOS diskette. Same thing. I played around with GUEST.INI according to the help file, still nothing. LASTDRIVE=F, different jumper settings on the drives, etc.

Except when I put in a Windows 98 boot disk. I run GUEST.EXE (both in stock and modified INI) and it assigns it a letter, then when I go to D:\, I can see the contents of the ZIP drive. Reboot with DOS (5, 6, 6,21, 6.22) and we're back to D: being an invalid drive.

I mean worst case I'll make a custom boot disk that'll do the job and autoload it, presumably with the XCOPY command in tow, but yeah, that's so strange.

Ideas?

Last edited by Jed118 on 2019-06-21, 03:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe your version of guest needs dos 7 for whatever reason.
few different versions here
http://oldcomputer.info/media/zip/index.htm

I use v6.0 on my 486 with 6.22, but it's the parallel drive

Reply 2 of 2, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried DRDOS 7. Still didn't work. I also hooked up another hard disk and copied the GUEST file. Same. for shits and giggles, I will try a different I/O card (tried several IDE cables already)

Maybe I need an older version of GUEST?

It was the hard drive - a Quantum Prodrive LPS (258 Mb) - it RIPed today so I replaced it with a WD Caviar. Loaded up GUEST.EXE without any issues.

I hate Quantum drives.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!