VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm "upgrading" my K6-2 300mhz system from WFW 3.11 to instead be a Win98se machine. It currently has a Voodoo3 2000 in it.
Digging around in my closet for other things, I came across a box with some old cards in it.

Among them were an ATI X1300 and an Asus N7600GS (Nvidia) video cards. While I've got motherboards they could go in, I'm not really into XP era Windows, atm, nor that same era Linux, so they'll probably continue to sit in the box.

But I also came across an ATI 3D Rage II video card.

According to CNet, this card has 8mb (it has the 4mb memory daughterboard on it).
I was going to ask if it was overkill for a win98se system, but my Voodoo3 2000 has 16mb on it!
CNet also says minimum system for this card would be Pentium 100mhz, 12mb ram.
Again, 300mhz system, 256mb ram.
Is there something I'm missing? I would think the ATI would be superior to the Voodoo, but evidently not.

What would be the most powerful, yet still appropriate, video card for such a Win98 system? Particularly for gaming, but also for some graphics and music work, using old, Win98 and earlier tools.

Reply 1 of 6, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

V3 2000 is very close to a "perfect card" for your system, I would not change it. It's also a bit too powerful, a Banshee would be probably a better fit for that CPU, but I see no real reason to downgrade. RageII is much worse than V3 2000, is even much worse than Voodoo1 4 MB (in 3D) - it's slower and it has worse image quality and lacks a lot of 3D features.

I highly doubt you could install X1300 or 7600GS, they are only PCI Express or AGP 8X, and AGP8X is not compatible with your motherboard, it requires at least an AGP4X slot that can provide 1.5V.

Most powerful card for your system? Probably FX5950 Ultra, but it would be a huuuuuuuuge overkill, I doubt you would see any difference in games (except if you try to run more "modern" games).

Bottom line: keep the system as is, if you want something more powerful get another system.

Reply 2 of 6, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaverX wrote:
V3 2000 is very close to a "perfect card" for your system, I would not change it. It's also a bit too powerful, a Banshee would […]
Show full quote

V3 2000 is very close to a "perfect card" for your system, I would not change it. It's also a bit too powerful, a Banshee would be probably a better fit for that CPU, but I see no real reason to downgrade. RageII is much worse than V3 2000, is even much worse than Voodoo1 4 MB (in 3D) - it's slower and it has worse image quality and lacks a lot of 3D features.

I highly doubt you could install X1300 or 7600GS, they are only PCI Express or AGP 8X, and AGP8X is not compatible with your motherboard, it requires at least an AGP4X slot that can provide 1.5V.

Most powerful card for your system? Probably FX5950 Ultra, but it would be a huuuuuuuuge overkill, I doubt you would see any difference in games (except if you try to run more "modern" games).

Bottom line: keep the system as is, if you want something more powerful get another system.

Thanks!
Actually, no I'm not really trying for something more powerful... I've got Pentium 4 and other more advanced motherboards in the closet I could pull out if I want a more powerful system. I just want a system that is "max" power as would be appropriate for a Win 98 era machine, if possible.

I wasn't thinking of putting the X1300 or N7600GS in this system. I used them so long ago, I'm not really sure what OS I was running with them. Probably XP.

I've also got a Voodoo2 1000 (?) card in a box somewhere... the strictly 3D, pass-through 2D card. Would that conflict with a card like the ATI, that has built-in 3D acceleration? (purely academic question, I've other plans for that card... I think...)

Reply 3 of 6, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote:

I've also got a Voodoo2 1000 (?) card in a box somewhere... the strictly 3D, pass-through 2D card. Would that conflict with a card like the ATI, that has built-in 3D acceleration? (purely academic question, I've other plans for that card... I think...)

No, it would only conflict with another 3dfx card. Most games from that era will allow you to select the card.

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why would you think ATI was superior?
ATI had already been around for years before 3dfx but it was 3dfx that had the first with a popular/widely supported 3d card.

It's not to say ATI, S3 and other big companies of the day weren't trying mind.
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

Reply 6 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the only rage in Rage is the feeling when you realize how scammed you got buying it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFHwNf7-oZk
Voodoo3 is perfect for K6

Hamby wrote:

I thought the Rage II was a newer card, and I was under the impression that 3DFX was the first company to come out with 3D accelerators.

3DFX was the first company to come out with real usable 3D accelerators

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction