VOGONS

First post, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons

I can't ID this card, maybe one of you keen eyed retro guys can.

IMG-5755.jpg
IMG-5756.jpg
Ukendt-FX5900-AIDA-2.jpg

Edit: the sticker on the bracket is misplaced from my msi card, I just noticed

Reply 1 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always associate this PCB colour with cards from the PNY Verto range, but can't find any other pics of an FX5900 to back this up (I have a PNY FX5200 PCI in this colour though)

Reply 2 of 12, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same rear label/sticker as some Palit cards. (same format for the model/features) It is also purple, like many Palit cards at that time. My guess is a Palit GeForce FX5900. https://web.archive.org/web/20040605175258/ht … //palitusa.com/

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the sticker FX5900sp-VTD 256 on the inside of the bracked suggest MSI, but its not MSI
by the cheap shit capacitors I would say its a late generic Chinese noname for asian markets
afaik PNY and Palit are one and the same company, this might be their night shift low end output

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was going to say PNY due to the color but I can't seem to find any pictures of a purple PNY 5900 series card. Palit would be the most likely since they at least made a 5900XT that color.

Strange to see such a high end card with all "old style" through-hole aluminum electrolytic caps. The high end FX series (and all high end GPUs after that) almost exclusively used the newer ones that either were or looked like polymer caps. They look like respectable caps though, since they aren't bloated and they don't have the cheap-looking X shaped vent that most crappy caps have.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 12, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help! I am pretty sure this is indeed Palit, since as you have pointed out, the PCB looks so similar, I also notice that Palit often locate the caps on horizontal rows. Plus the caps look like they are the same make on the FX5700 (the ones near the molex connector)

Google picture of Palit Daytona FX5700:
5900-fiolet-front.jpg

The sticker from the FX5900 moved back to the proper card:
IMG-5897.jpg

Glad that I finally can call the card by the (most likely) proper name Palit Daytona GeForce FX5900

@rasz_pl please keep it civil, no need to bash and use profanities, just asking for ID, not saying this is the king of graphic cards.

Reply 7 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Certainly looking like Palit now

Palit_FX5900_PCD-AGP.jpg
Filename
Palit_FX5900_PCD-AGP.jpg
File size
357.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

We were given the opportunity to look at the graphics card of the company, which in the past occupied an important place under OEM contracts. Today Palit is trying to focus on the retail market. The company is based in Taiwan and has two factories in China.

Palit offers a full range of cards on nVidia chips, starting with a very cheap GeForce4 MX440 and ending with GeForce FX5900. However, the most interesting products are graphics cards with the interface PCI. According to Palit, some OEM customers order these cards.

If the bandwidth of the old PCI bus is too small for modern graphics applications, Palit solves this problem by equipping the board with a large amount of memory. You can even order FX5900 with an impressive 256 MB of DDR RAM.

http://www.thg.ru/business/20030926/computex_2003_3-10.html

Reply 9 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skanque wrote:

@rasz_pl please keep it civil, no need to bash and use profanities, just asking for ID, not saying this is the king of graphic cards.

Sorry. YXG/MBZ arent bad capacitors per se, they are just what Palit used on lowend like FX5200. Looking at PC Hoarder Patrol post its the other way around, it was their first attempt at designing products for western market.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 12, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No problem, I just try to keep a positive vibe since I find this hobby relaxing (:

The manufacturer apparently is Rubycon, I think they are a good quality company:
IMG-5902.jpg
IMG-5901.jpg

Reply 11 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My PNY FX5200 PCI (now clearly a Palit re-brand) has Rubycon YXG caps all round except the two, top left, which are Nippon Chemi-Con KZG.

PNY_Verto_FX5200a.jpg
Filename
PNY_Verto_FX5200a.jpg
File size
879.73 KiB
Views
File license
PNY_Verto_FX5200b.jpg
Filename
PNY_Verto_FX5200b.jpg
File size
871.07 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its not the brand, but the type and usage scenario. Electrolytics in output stage of SMPS on a mini baking oven constantly pushing hot air at them is a recipe for RMA in a 2 year window of heavy gaming. Its not unusual for those cards to run 70-80 full load, engineered to fail.