VOGONS

First post, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle here and looking for advice in getting my laptop up and running for some retro gaming.

I have an HP Omnibook 800CT with an external 3.5" floppy drive. I also have a Panasonic external PCMCIA CDRW drive (KXL-RW10A).

I'm trying to achieve any kind of system that lets me move some files from my modern PC over to the Omnibook.

The issue is that I can't seem to get the floppy drive to work with any consistency (a lot of Abort/Retry/Fail errors). At first I thought maybe it was the disks I was using, but now I'm starting to think it's actually the drive that's the problem because I just tested it with brand new floppies and it wasn't working.

I don't even really need the floppy drive if I can get the CDRW working, but the problem is that I need the driver file for it and I only have the floppy drive to work with for transferring files. It's literally just one 25K file I need to get onto the hard drive! 😠

I actually started to think whether there's some way I can get the IR blaster to work to transfer the file, but I don't have any digital cameras from the 90s unfortunately...

Maybe I need to rip apart the floppy drive and clean the heads?

Open to suggestions! Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Clean the heads off and lubricate the rails with white lithium grease in case the heads are stuck.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 7, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks man - yeah that's next on my list. There's no exposed screws on the external floppy so I have to use a spudger etc to pop it apart by these tiny clips - might be a bit of a challenge.

I did find this example config sys setup too that uses drivers already on the Omnibook hard drive, but not sure if it'll only work with the official HP external CD-ROM...both drives are made by Panasonic but still probably a long shot:

devicehigh=aspi8xx.sys
devicehigh=symcd.sys /d:cdrom1

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 7, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have a null modem cable?
Good ol' direct cable connection could get the drivers across

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 4 of 7, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a really smart idea and was definitely on my radar. Only issue is that all my other computers are laptops without serial ports...BUT...I could get a USB to serial converter for pretty cheap probably...definitely a good thought.

Reply 5 of 7, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could always take the hard drive out of the laptop if you have something which will accept 44-pin IDE.

Other options include a PCMCIA network card or PCMCIA flash drive but you'd want something where the drivers are included with Windows.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 6 of 7, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks @BushLin - makes sense. I'd have to buy an IDE adapter but this did cross my radar. I used to have one of those Orinoco Gold PCMCIA network cards but kicking myself because seems like I must have lost it somewhere. I do have a PCMCIA to SD Card coming in the mail soon but to your point may be a driver situ...

Reply 7 of 7, by HenWen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

I took the floppy drive apart, cleaned it out, rubbed it down with isopropyl alcohol, and then used the white lithium grease and it worked! At least long enough to get the stupid 25kB driver copied over to the hard drive! Now I have a fully functional CD-ROM attached and I can just move files back and forth with it.

Thanks to @bjwil1991 for the first comment that made me just go for it. And thanks for the other backup ideas...