VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the usual blue ended VGA cables. Some of them are starting to become a bit rusty and I'm thinking of getting some new VGA cables.

Any tips on what to look for in a high quality VGA cable? What sort of price should I expect to pay (in USD) for such said cable?

Recommended eBay listings welcome.

Reply 1 of 4, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some of these, perfect picture.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Coaxial-Connect … s/dp/B00OZL3HLO

51jPDCBF4GL._AC_SY400_.jpg
51uVtp3qluL._AC_SY200_.jpg

Last edited by BushLin on 2019-05-24, 09:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 4, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO a good VGA cable should be thick. That's because RGB signals should each have it's own coaxial cable - it's not about shielding (though that is very important as well) but signal propagation and termination. A proper 75ohm cable, matched/terminated on both sides, will not have any ghosting - that's basically signal reflections. Then the H/V sync wires should be thick enough to allow proper currents for fast signal propagation. And then all this should be preferably shielded again to reduce EM noise to nearby devices.

The problem with such cables, other than simply not being sold because 5$ a piece thin mostly-plastic multiwire cables are everywhere now, is they tend to be rather rigid and not as easy to place/route. But if you want quality, you accept that. Gold plated connectors are a nice touch but make little difference, unless you intend to store the cables in a damp or cold place where moisture is an issue. Depends where you live I guess.

My advice is buy a cheap but promising cable, cut it in half, inspect the guts. Usually it's only good for a garbage bin. Sometimes though you get surprised with a NOS from good old SVGA CRT days - in that case, buy another of the same type from the same seller and enjoy.

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deunan wrote:

IMO a good VGA cable should be thick. That's because RGB signals should each have it's own coaxial cable - it's not about shielding (though that is very important as well) but signal propagation and termination. A proper 75ohm cable, matched/terminated on both sides, will not have any ghosting - that's basically signal reflections. Then the H/V sync wires should be thick enough to allow proper currents for fast signal propagation. And then all this should be preferably shielded again to reduce EM noise to nearby devices.

The problem with such cables, other than simply not being sold because 5$ a piece thin mostly-plastic multiwire cables are everywhere now, is they tend to be rather rigid and not as easy to place/route. But if you want quality, you accept that. Gold plated connectors are a nice touch but make little difference, unless you intend to store the cables in a damp or cold place where moisture is an issue. Depends where you live I guess.

My advice is buy a cheap but promising cable, cut it in half, inspect the guts. Usually it's only good for a garbage bin. Sometimes though you get surprised with a NOS from good old SVGA CRT days - in that case, buy another of the same type from the same seller and enjoy.

Or instead of cutting the cable open... you could always, you know.. test it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good VGA cable should also have a ferrite core for cutting down on interference, but I just read that's mainly outgoing interference so maybe the best and worst cables don't have ferrite cores?