VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
im trying to install Win XP on Zida TX98-3D MB, with lastest Bios 1.16,where K6-II up to 450 should be supported.

Im getting WinXP start reboot, directly after 1st part of installation is done and HW should be detected in 2nd part. I replated virtually everything to discover that problem is CPU related - its AMD K6-2/300AFR i used it 15 year ago, it worked fine, pins are fine.

I installed Windows 98 SE on machine, i didnt tried it too much, i had some issues with NIC, which stopped to work, so i wanted to install install XP and tried it here.. I tried only few games in Win 98 like UT, Diablo etc, Doom 2 in dos nad there are worked.

I tried multiple WinXP isos from vaniall WinXP to some WinXP, problem was always the same, once i can see some blue screen info - with error IRQ_IS_LESS_OR_EQUAL.. i saw some reports about this error from old post with K6-II cpus, but nothing conclusive or solution for it. I tried disable everything in bios.. mess with IRQs etc. I later installations, i dont got bluescreen, even when i disabled autorestart, i restart was everytime exact in same, moment, i can get to Safe mode, but here i get message that installation is not complete, so i cant do anything here.

After that i started to replace HW, i changed memory sticks /slots (im using now 2x 128 MB one sided, i had more mem), HDD, CD-ROM, IDE cables, videocard, PSU -AT /ATX i treid bouth,i removed all other cards, but it was still the same.. so only left MB and CPU, or some strange SW incompability, from desperation i tried Cyrix M2 266 slimer that its working HW detection phase is now running.

I doubt that problem is with cooling, i have overdimmensed cooler, its cool, i replaced it multiple times, it hold well, paste is fine. I tried underclock it to 200, its still the same.

Other strange that is that even, MB is Jumpress less mode, that i had to change voltage to 2.2 V by jumpers otherwise machine refuse to boot, but when i placed Cyrix M2.. its working well with it even when i needs 2.9 - CPU was detected, Voltage set to 2.9.. In threory i could kill CPU during this process.

But its possible that CPU is working in DOS and for Win98 (except strange NIC problems?), but its not working for WinXP boot, are there some special instructions used? I because of my memory, im not really sure Win98 - were installed with Cyrix or AMD.. but it was booting with AMD later fine (maybe, maybe problems with NIC started after CPU change, but im not really sure). Its there some good DOS or Win98 testing utility for CPU? I spend lots of time with it, but yes i will try to replace cpu one more after WinXP installation, if its only 1st installation thing or it will continue to fail..

I dont have any other SS7 MB to test AMD cpu here.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Filename
    tx983d.pdf
    File size
    420.33 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by ruthan on 2019-06-02, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 4, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried K6-2 300 again and find out, that with underclocking to 200 Mhz its working, with any higher clock it doent for WinXP booting, its really strange that Win98 and Dos,arent affected by it or in much less degree, heatsink is still cold.
I have time to test it, because i had to travel to other city, but my theory is Jumper less function is not working without issue, or there some problem with Bios. In settings, in only CPU clock, but nothing about FSB.. my guess is that MB was setup for Cyrix, which are using that strage FSB 75,83 clocks and.. its probably this used for jumper less settings. Other strange thing that after replace Cyrix for K6-2, there was detected clock 400 MHz. dont 300, before it detected for some CPU, i think 200 MHz. If im not work, these MBs, are one of first which support that jumper set settings and its probably has its issues..

Update: I checked manual for Cyrix 266 FSB should be 66, and frequency should be 66x3.5=233, but in OS i see 200 MHz to probably MB is setup to something else (maybe 2.5*83), i cant now check it.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 2 of 4, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, i checked MB bus freq is optimal 66 MHz, i tried i166, 233 MMX and they are running fine, i need other AMD-K6-2 compatible MB or processor to test what is wrong, i could be botched bios, but it has some nice features like big HDD support, so return to older would be PITA..

Reply 3 of 4, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just in case this is of value. IRQ_IS_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a very generic error which comes up with many types of hardware issues. I would suspect your motherboard has a hardware issue but if Win 98 is totally stable then it could be some odd incompatibility with XP.
Something like Prime95 or an old version of OCCT stress test in Win 98 could reveal a general stability problem. If you haven't, testing each RAM slot individually might reveal an issue there.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 4 of 4, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be everything, even some dirty pin, or some filth in socket.. but my money are on some some MB incompatibility, with Intel 233 MMX are WinXp stable, at least for few hours of normal use, some gaming, i tried Diablo, but it was sluggish, probably because of CPU and only 256 MB of RAM, because in task manager is CPU most of time at 100%.. vanilla WinXP SP3 is probably too much for this kind of HW, Matrox Mystique with 4 MB is not speed enhancer either. This machine is so far not worthy of Vooodoo 2/3 cards.

I dont have bios changelog in english, but only in czech from some locat distributor and there were some CPU related bug in previous bioses too, i tried lots of memory sticks and worst possible timming and problem is probably elsewhere.

I had some issues with Realtek 8139 cards in XP too, it stopped worked too, after time, i so i used some old 3Com 100 Mbit card and its working fine.