VOGONS

First post, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,
I'm trying to get my 486 DX2 set up for DOS games, but I'm running into several different road blocks. It has a PC Chips motherboard, which I know aren't good at all, but it's not as if I'm trying to run Windows on this thing! The system stats are very typical for a 486: MS-DOS 6.22, Intel DX2-66, 8MB 30-pin memory, AWE64 Value, Cirrus Logic VLB video, Quadtel VLB disk controller card, and 128K of REAL cache. 😲

Memtest86 seems happy with the memory, and I have tried running the system with external cache disabled. All of the caps on the board look great. Even the barrel battery looked brand new before I removed it.

-For starters, I can't run MemmMaker. I've tried both the express setup and custom setup. Each time, memmaker does its thing, reboots the computer, and then comes up with this error message:
MemMaker cannot continue. No upper memory was created.

It also does this with a fresh DOS 6.22 installation. I don't think I've ever had MemMaker outright refuse to run on brand new installation of DOS with nothing else on the hard drive or in config.sys/autoexec!

-Then there are the random freezes. For example, the second level in Duke Nukem 2 freezes around 75% of the time, and always in different spots. Some games (Xargon, for example) will randomly slow to a crawl and then lock up shortly after. When this happens, not even alt+ctrl+del saves it, I have to use the hardware reset switch.

-Here's a weird one. Jazz Jackrabbit used to work on this machine, but now when I try to start it, it gives the following error:

Missing file setup.exe. Run HELPME for help.
Memory allocation error
Cannot load COMMAND, system halted.

Of course, setup.exe IS there, and when I move the hard drive to a P3 computer Jazz starts up fine.

-I can't get the serial mouse to work, no matter which driver I use. When I load a program with mouse support and move the mouse, the pointer just flies off the screen at hyper-speed and...that's the end of my mouse support. Depending on the program being run, the computer may also lock up at that point. Again, when I move the hard drive to the P3 computer and use the same mouse and driver (ctmouse), it works fine!

So what do you guys think about this? Is this just typical PC Chips funkiness, or might I have some faulty hardware lurking in the wings that none of the diagnostics programs are picking up?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd start by cleaning the contacts of all the memory and ISA cards. Use a pencil eraser to clean them.

Exercise the ISA/VLB slots by inserting and removing cards multiple times to try and break any corrosion there.

I'm not too sure what could be causing your memmaker problems though. Have you tried a different power supply?

Edit: Try popping out the keyboard controller IC and pushing it back in if it is in a socket.

Reply 2 of 6, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have issues with a PC Chips M919 and serial mouse. Thought it could be that it was mismatched with the serial port connectors, but when I tried it with serial and InPort cards there was still no joy getting the mouse working. Shame as it's otherwise an OK board, but I'd put your troubles down to PC Chips flakiness 😀

Reply 3 of 6, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I cleaned and reseated all of the expansion and RAM cards/slots. However, it turned out to be a bad hard drive! I am not sure why everything worked when I booted the drive in the P3 system. Also the diagnostics didn't find anything wrong with the drive. But when I swapped the drive for a similarly old 504MB Connor everything started working! I guess the PC Chips motherboard is just more sensitive to failing drives?

The serial mouse still doesn't work, but from JidaiGeki's reply it seems these motherboards are not exactly mouse friendly. 😊

Reply 4 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For serial, did the serial bracket come with the motherboard ? There are two types of pin arrangements for serial headers, and to make this more fun, there is no way to visually differentiate them :p
You can open the serial connector and look how the thing is wired though. It can either be two perfect rows of soldered wires or staggered wires.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 6, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With older systems and the age of the parts, there's a lot to go wrong, but quite often it ends up being something simple. I had some strange behaviour on the weekend from my Penium 166 system. I got Windows 95 installed, but soon after setup finished, and after the first boot, Windows wanted to recover the registry. That... isn't a good sign... so I ran Memtest86+ and ran 2 passes on the 32mb EDO...but it found no errors. So what gives? Bad 95 CD, bad CD Drive, bad IDE cable... I was using a new 40GB IDE drive, and had installed Win 95B OSR 2.0 with the Fat32 support, so I didn't at first think that'd be an issue. It had no problems partitioning and formatting, then installing onto the 40gb... until the registry kept corrupting. I ended up dropping the partition down to 3x 2GB Partitions, installed 95 onto the first one, and all has been happy since. But with older system, expect the odd strange thing to happen once in a while, if for nothing else but the age of the parts. If you're using an older PSU that from age is outputting flaky voltage, you can experience for much odd behaviour, you'll think the system is possessed.

With older systems, you've always got to make sure connectors/PCI/AGP/ISA cards and contacts are seated properly, over time older parts warp through heat and age. With old PC builds, two things I won't go old on is a PSU and Hard Drive. Keep those new, or as close as possible. I love going 100% vintage, but using oldwe PSU's has usually given me nothing but grief. As for Hard drives, it's hard to find >10GB one's that don't whine... so I just use larger and newer IDE drives, or CF cards. Eliminate the most common parts to give you trouble through age, and you'll enjoy the system a lot longer without issue. (From my experience)

Reply 6 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like ram a parity issue. Get checkit and run the ram test in Dos.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉