VOGONS

First post, by stargazer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys
I have found an old Amstrad 1512DD XT clone but I haven't found any peripherals for it , am i screwed?

AMD 486DX-100 MB8433/40 Ver3.1 Trident Vga

Reply 1 of 3, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No monitor = no power supply. You could get around it by making up your own power cable (pinout is available online, but the plug might be tricky to locate), or hacking in a power supply, but otherwise you won't be able to even start it. I know that they can run a discrete video card for display - a friend of mine had one running an external monitor a couple of months back.

Keyboard is the usual 5-pin DIN, but uses a proprietary protocol so unless you can locate a specific 1512/1640 keyboard that will also cause some problems. I don't know if there is a converter for standard XT/AT keyboards.

So if all you have is the main unit, then you will be out of luck, unless you can find the peripherals fairly easily.

Reply 2 of 3, by stargazer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found it inside a warehouse but no peripherals found I've searched everywhere.I could build a power supply it is simple for me but I haven't got a cga monitor now keyboard is a difficult part as they do suffer from eBay syndrome

AMD 486DX-100 MB8433/40 Ver3.1 Trident Vga