VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this ASUS P5A-B (Ali Aladdin 5) Socket 7 board and when I hook it up without a fan I almost directly get an error message on POST (sorry, didn't capture the exact copy) indicating that I need to go into the BIOS and check the Power Management.

When I do I can see that the +12v is fluctuating around the 13v, like jumping from 12.8 to 13.1 to 13.0 to 13.3 to 12.9 etc. The system itself seems to run fine. I haven't had in on for an extended period of time so it difficult to tell what happens longer term. I guess it would shorten the life span of the CPU..? Anyhow, in this scenario the CPU temperature sits at around 74/75C (165F).

However, when I add a fan to the CPU (no thermal paste) the over-voltage still happens but it seems that the range is lower, like from 12.5 to 13.0, mostly below 13.0 but still erroring.

Besides this, I noticed that the -v12 sits around -11.5 or -11.6.

Of course it could be the PSU. I have tested with two different PSU's, both Startech 300W ATX (the board takes AT & ATX power). I have been using one the PSU for quite a while on a 286 build with no issue (can't measure CPU metrics there though). So, I think its either the board or maybe the CPU itself (Pentium MXX 233Mhz).

Assuming for the moment it's not the PSU, are there any other tests and or remedies or things I can tweak or fiddle with?

Thoughts appreciated.

Reply 1 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What makes you think it's the CPU ? The CPU takes 2.8V, not 12V !

You should take a voltmeter and measure the voltages right from a molex connector, but that doesn't sound good at all for your PSU.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 6, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe the load on 12v is very low and is unexpected for a cheap, modern PSU; designed for newer systems where the CPU voltage is derived from 12v.
Test the theory by adding some more load on 12v and check if the voltage drops further.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 3 of 6, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

What makes you think it's the CPU ? The CPU takes 2.8V, not 12V !

You should take a voltmeter and measure the voltages right from a molex connector, but that doesn't sound good at all for your PSU.

I mean, a defect in the CPU of some sort.

If I had a volt meter I would certainly have done that.

BushLin wrote:

Maybe the load on 12v is very low and is unexpected for a cheap, modern PSU; designed for newer systems where the CPU voltage is derived from 12v.

The Startech PSU's are as far as I'm aware not considered "cheap" (as in poor build quality).

EDIT: PS, I haven't had these problems on other boards using the same PSU's.

Reply 4 of 6, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ignoring the possibility of debating the quality of Startech PSUs...
Roughly 15 years ago motherboards went from using the 5v line to using the 12v line for CPU power and power supply design changed to suit this.
The fact that you're seeing supposedly high values for 12v could be due to your system drawing very little from the 12v rail and the PSU might not have been designed with such a scenario in mind.
Put some more load on 12v and see what happens (e.g. more fans and/or hard drives)

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 6 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS voltage readings can be notoriously unreliable, you shouldn't trust them. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to test with a multimeter by probing one of the molex connectors.

Even the cheapest multimeter you can get will be way more accurate than the BIOS when it comes to reading voltages.