VOGONS

First post, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some time fiddling around with settings, different cards and being on the borderline of hair ripping I found that I was having some quite strange issues with my CF adaptor used in place of the hard drive.

I was planning on setting my 486 machine up with mostly original hardware excluding a mechanical hard drive, but I hit a road block of sorts. First I had issues getting BIOS to even see that cards, but I fixed that by touching it, as is standard with old machines. I touched it and now it magically works. 😕 Actually I think the cards weren't inserting all the way in when it was mounted to the back of the case, so now it just dangles inside.

After solving that first hurdle BIOS detected all three 4GB cards perfectly every time and they all booted into DOS, running OnTrack Disk Manager worked flawlessly and split the drive into two partitions. After installing DOS and drivers using Phils DOS pack it was all working fine, except for the CD-ROM drive. The CF adaptor is my master drive with the jumper set as such and the CD-ROM is a slave where the CF adaptor is plugged into the end of the cable and the CD-ROM is the second. With that setup I could not get the driver to detect a CD-ROM at all. I've tried swapping the order around, cable select on the CD-ROM, but none of that worked. That wasn't the only issue though.

Proceeding further for some reason even though I would have no optical drive I decided to install my AWE 64 Gold using the drivers provided on Creative's website, after copying them to some disks and installing all I got was this lousy error. I can't remember the error exactly, something like error code 2880 line 7 more numbers and I couldn't find anything about it. I tried downloading the files again and used new disks this time just in case mine happened to have corrupted themselves (they're also new), but the exact same error again.

It is at this point I decided stuff it I'll just use a 120GB overkill drive and use OnTrack to limited it to 2GB. BIOS detected this drive as an 8GB drive and OnTrack decided it was far too large and manly to use in DOS so it had to take some of that away, I say whatever to that since 2GB is more than enough for my needs in DOS. So now I have a working 486 with a 2GB hard drive and CD-ROM and booting into DOS like it's 1992 again (or was it 3). My machine is working so I decided to try the AWE 64 again and holly crap nothing happened, the drivers installed like they should have and the cards working great.

Question is, what the hell was up with the CF adaptor borking my setup? Is it just that adaptor (a cheap one from eBay) or have they been known to cause peculiar issues like this?

Reply 1 of 7, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found quite a few CF card threads here, do a search and see what you can find. I tried it with my 286 Packard Bell Legend and just tossed a 400MB mechanical in it with partitions of 202 (or so) MB and it runs fine. There is help here though just search and see. Good Luck

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 2 of 7, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of cheap CF adaptors are designed to act as both master and slave, but they only have one card slot installed and leave the other unpopulated. The jumper merely selects which slot is master.

Reply 3 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my experience ~30% of those cheap adapters just don't work - I always order 2 at a time to increase the odds of success. In saying that though they're such simple things that they either work or don't, and yours sounds to be working fine - is it just the CD-ROM issue you were left with? I'd plug it into the second IDE port as master.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had that happen in the past before when I had only 1 CF adapter plugged in to the primary channel as master and the CD-ROM plugged into the secondary channel as master where my Socket 7 machine only detected the CF adapter, but not the CD drive. I have a CF adapter installed in my 486 and it works without issues.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 5 of 7, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

In my experience ~30% of those cheap adapters just don't work - I always order 2 at a time to increase the odds of success. In saying that though they're such simple things that they either work or don't, and yours sounds to be working fine - is it just the CD-ROM issue you were left with? I'd plug it into the second IDE port as master.

Oh really? Interesting. I have four or five and all of them work just fine.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 6 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ones I've had worked or still work without issues. It's a hit and miss with some of them.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7 of 7, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

is it just the CD-ROM issue you were left with? I'd plug it into the second IDE port as master.

The CD-ROM and the weird installation error I kept getting trying to install the sound card drivers. For all I know it could have had errors installing other things like games, but I never took it that far.