VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought at least some folks here would find a tear-down video of an old G3 iMac interesting, and possibly useful. While it's Mac-oriented, some of the observations made during the teardown I think might be applicable to other computer types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_So68mSqev8

Reply 1 of 5, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still have pieces of my sadly departed eMac (because it was the most desirable version, but the power/display hardware board died). Darned thing weighed 55 lbs.

Have half a silly idea of rebuilding it into some kind of less massive AIO chassis

I also have an LC, G3 mac, PM 8500, and a few Power Computing clones I lucked across. I keep an eye on mac stuff even though I mostly have PCs.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 2 of 5, by Onyx Jaguar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wish that there was more helpful/easier to find information on Macs of this era. I too have an Emac that just went up and died (no idea what happened, just wouldn't power on one day). Also two G4's that just went up and died (again, power button didn't power on the unit, great). Troubleshooting is mighty difficult. Finicky beasts.

Reply 3 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Onyx Jaguar wrote:

I wish that there was more helpful/easier to find information on Macs of this era. I too have an Emac that just went up and died (no idea what happened, just wouldn't power on one day).

Likely blown/leaking caps on the power supply...

Reply 4 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that same iMac G3 2001 Graphite 600mhz.
It works great. Made in Mexico.
I really like my Mac computers. They just work flawlessly and are rock solid reliable.

Reply 5 of 5, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I happen to have a Lime green iMac G3/400 DV, still runs like a champ despite the dead PRAM battery

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]