VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just took a look yesterday at the 286 motherboard I have sitting in the closet waiting for me to build a system around it, and I saw the telltale green "mold" of acid buildup on its barrel CMOS battery. Not a lot, as yet, and I don't think it's damaged the motherboard. But I obviously need to replace it.

Does anyone know of a (preferably US based) online electronics supplier from whom I could possibly buy a replacement?
More importantly, what can I replace the barrel battery with?

Reply 2 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have a look on the board for BAT EXT header. Here's all you need to know about battery replacement. http://pc-restorer.com/replacing-cmos-batteries-in-old-pcs/

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 6, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I pulled the board out today, and examined the battery under a magnifier.
Both sides had signs of corrosion, but I could see no signs of corrosion or damage on the motherboard.
I cleaned both sides with Coke using a Q-Tip (I forgot to get white vinegar this morning).
I then wiggled it back and forth until it broke off. I'll desolder the pins when I put a new battery in.
After, I cleaned the area under it with Coke, then cleaned it again with alcohol on a Q-Tip, then used a dry Q-Tip to dry that up.

Now to figure out what kind of battery it takes, buy one and install it.

Probably not the proper way to deal with it, but I'm new at this.

20190531_135649.jpg
Filename
20190531_135649.jpg
File size
183.62 KiB
Views
File comment
corrosion on the side of the battery
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20190531_135659.jpg
Filename
20190531_135659.jpg
File size
135.74 KiB
Views
File comment
other side also corroded
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 6, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just solder in a coin battery holder with a diode inline (use heatshrink tubing on the diode so it doesn't short to anything) that will keep the board from charging it. Hot glue (same thing they used on the original barrel battery) will keep it all in place.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 6, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Most likely the 4-Pin header on the bottom right of your 1st photo is for the external battery. Check with a mutlimeter if you are unsure. No need to solder anything.

cool, I'll check on that. Would make me feel a lot more comfortable.