VOGONS

First post, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello i just have a quick Question about using a pci USB 2.0 card with internal usb 2.0 type a Jack on the pci card itself. i tried to buy a adapter to convert the pin connector for my front usb jacks that came with the case to a usb 2.0 type a plug for the pci usb 2.0 card but the device i tried to plug in did not show up in windows i tried a usb flash drive that was it from what i remember and the os i was using is windows 98 se and i had the USB flash driver installed my i have a usb 2.0 hub i installed that a got from ebay and that works fine in that usb slot on the pci card. if you need the model of the pci usb card or and other info let me know. thanks for the help and reading this 😀

Reply 1 of 17, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to check the USB cable pin correlation. Some motherboard are different.
Check your manual and google it.
I had this same problem before.
I just had to switch the wires around on the cable and it worked.

Attachments

• USB port.gif
    Filename
    USB port.gif
    File size
    5.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 123456.jpg
    Filename
    123456.jpg
    File size
    26.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 17, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
You need to check the USB cable pin correlation. Some motherboard are different. Check your manual and google it. I had this sam […]
Show full quote

You need to check the USB cable pin correlation. Some motherboard are different.
Check your manual and google it.
I had this same problem before.
I just had to switch the wires around on the cable and it worked.

im talking about using a my front panel usb on a pci card since my motherboard doesn't have onboard usb header for the front panel to work

Reply 3 of 17, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the USB update for Win98.
This worked for me.
Google Search for "NUSB.exe"
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-06-01, 22:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 17, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would recommend taking a type A male cable, cut it and solder the connections to male 2.54mm headers. Make sure D+ and D- stay the same length.

Although I did not try this hack yet, I did a similar one to get the front panel AC'97 connected to two audio cards (one ES1868F and one Audigy 2 ZS).

Reply 5 of 17, by Onyx Jaguar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember having this issue as well. I'll give the USB update a shot, as my PCI card has the headers but I haven't been able to get either the front or back ports to recognize devices despite showing up in Windows 98.

Also, are there any PCI FIrewire/USB 2.0 combo cards that have inputs for front panel connectors?

Reply 6 of 17, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cde- wrote:

I would recommend taking a type A male cable, cut it and solder the connections to male 2.54mm headers. Make sure D+ and D- stay the same length.

Although I did not try this hack yet, I did a similar one to get the front panel AC'97 connected to two audio cards (one ES1868F and one Audigy 2 ZS).

this is what i used to to convert the connector is this what you mean
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332407752005

Reply 7 of 17, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Onyx Jaguar wrote:

I remember having this issue as well. I'll give the USB update a shot, as my PCI card has the headers but I haven't been able to get either the front or back ports to recognize devices despite showing up in Windows 98.

Also, are there any PCI FIrewire/USB 2.0 combo cards that have inputs for front panel connectors?

are you able to give me the model of your usb pci card i really just want one with the headers instead of having to convert the front panel

Reply 8 of 17, by Onyx Jaguar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Demonslayer2103 wrote:
Onyx Jaguar wrote:

are you able to give me the model of your usb pci card i really just want one with the headers instead of having to convert the front panel

I cant confirm that it works, but the card I have is a Startech PCIU587. The header is on the bottom of the card, while another USB is on the side (which I've seen on a number of USB cards).

Reply 10 of 17, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Onyx Jaguar wrote:
Demonslayer2103 wrote:
Onyx Jaguar wrote:

I cant confirm that it works, but the card I have is a Startech PCIU587. The header is on the bottom of the card, while another USB is on the side (which I've seen on a number of USB cards).

Here is a driver for that chip on your usb card it might help here is a link

http://download.viatech.com/DownloadDriverSvl?driver_id=2105

I got the driver from the post I read from here:
Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Have a read it might help you out

Reply 11 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Onyx Jaguar wrote:

...are there any PCI FIrewire/USB 2.0 combo cards that have inputs for front panel connectors?

Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Firewire-C … b-/380294254955

Guess you could either use their hub or plug your front panel connectors onto the cards own pin header block.

As far as the OPs usb problems, I've used those types of adapters numerous times without issue - am wondering if the front panel connectors are properly matched to the pinouts on the adapter,

Reply 12 of 17, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demonslayer2103 wrote:
cde- wrote:

this is what i used to to convert the connector is this what you mean
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332407752005

Correct I was thinking exactly of that! Had no idea this existed, now I probably will buy a couple 😀

Reply 13 of 17, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

As far as the OPs usb problems, I've used those types of adapters numerous times without issue - am wondering if the front panel connectors are properly matched to the pinouts on the adapter,

My KT7A has a USB 1.1 header on the motherboard that has a different pinout than the classic USB 2.0 header that came to replace it.

Basically GND and Vcc are switched, and also the key is swapped one place (fortunately).

So what I did was to turn the connector 180 degrees and shifting it by one. This connects Vcc with Vcc and GND with GND.

However D+ and D- are now inverted. Nonetheless this hack appears to work (USB devices get recognized). Perhaps some kind of automatic D+/D- swapping exists, like what you seen in modern gigabit ethernet with straight and crossover cables?

Reply 14 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cde- wrote:

My KT7A has a USB 1.1 header on the motherboard that has a different pinout than the classic USB 2.0 header that came to replace it.

Basically GND and Vcc are switched, and also the key is swapped one place (fortunately).

Heh; this kind of crap was why some cases had USB front panel headers with all the pins separated into individual wires.

cde- wrote:

However D+ and D- are now inverted. Nonetheless this hack appears to work (USB devices get recognized). Perhaps some kind of automatic D+/D- swapping exists, like what you seen in modern gigabit ethernet with straight and crossover cables?

Interesting to know.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 15 of 17, by Onyx Jaguar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:
Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Firewire-C … b-/380294254955 […]
Show full quote
Onyx Jaguar wrote:

...are there any PCI FIrewire/USB 2.0 combo cards that have inputs for front panel connectors?

Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Firewire-C … b-/380294254955

Guess you could either use their hub or plug your front panel connectors onto the cards own pin header block.

Yep, that definitely looks like it, I'll have to track down the part number. Excellent

Reply 16 of 17, by Onyx Jaguar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Demonslayer2103 wrote:
Here is a driver for that chip on your usb card it might help here is a link […]
Show full quote

Here is a driver for that chip on your usb card it might help here is a link

http://download.viatech.com/DownloadDriverSvl?driver_id=2105

I got the driver from the post I read from here:
Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Have a read it might help you out

I'll go ahead and give that a go as well, see if I can get the USB up and running

Reply 17 of 17, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the port works directly, then it's the cable conversion that's the issue, looks like the cable does a "normal" of +5, data pair, 0V and probably screen ground - the 5th pin if used tends to be either screen ground or overcurrent.
One A to header connector will only liven one of the front ports