VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wondering... How rare is the Pentium III 1000mhz 100mhz FSB, Slot 1 CPU?

The Pentium III 1000mhz 133mhz FSB slot 1 CPUs are fairly easy to find, but the 100mhz FSB variant seems very hard to come by.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 17, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember them being hard to find when they were current. I bought one new back in the day because I didn't want to replace my motherboard for one that support a 133Mhz FSB or socket 370. I seem to remember having a hard time finding one and paid a slight price premium over the 133. I also remember it didn't perform that well. Seemed the 100Mhz FSB was pretty limiting. All that to say, I'd imagine if they were uncommon when new, they will probably be somewhat hard to find today.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 17, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd classify them as uncommon, but not rare. They pop up from time to time. I bought one last year for $30. I felt that was pretty reasonable since people on eBay like to ask $100+ for them.

Intel didn't make a ton of them, because by the time the 1 GHz Pentium III was affordable for the masses most OEM systems had transitioned to Socket 370 and 133 FSB. The high-end OEM space also included i820 systems, which would have used the 1000/133 Slot 1 chip. The 1000/100 Slot 1 was in some of the high end BX-based OEM systems in early 2000, and sold boxed for upgrades. The later and more common SL4KL S-spec was only sold as retail boxed.

Reply 3 of 17, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen these sell for extremely high prices... several hundred dollars new in box.

Not sure why exactly. AMD beat Intel to 1Ghz with the Athlon, so the historical significance of it is comparatively low. There are so many alternatives that will perform similarly if you just need a fast system from that era.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 17, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's because it's the fastest option without overclocking or using a slotket for a large number of BX boards. Plus it's uncommon. Supply and demand is a big part of it. If people wanted it for significance they'd want the 1000/133 version, since intel launched it first. The 1000/100 came later.

Reply 6 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seemed the 100Mhz FSB was pretty limiting.

There's also bunch of problems if you try to throttle that CPU.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By that time Intel were more focused on Socket 370 so 100Mhz FSB Slot 1 systems days were already numbered, no point making load of CPU's on a dead end system.

Someone was selling a few hundred on ebay a few years ago for a good price, wish I got one then, but didn't think I'd have a need for a 2nd one, and of course I do now!

Reply 8 of 17, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rare and very overpriced for what they are. One is on ebay now for over $200.
P III 1000mhz 133mhz slot 1 CPUs are a bit of a steal. Most BX motherboards will boot them at 750mhz, for strict Intel/HP/Compaq boards that don't boot them you can modify the CPU itself to force it to 100 or 66mhz FSB. They then boot at 750 or 500mhz.
The 1GH 133 FSB Slot 1 CPU's were made for slot1 server boards. Highest quality slot 1s. Out of 9 that I have all work at 1.3v (just cover pin B119). Only use 10.5 watts @750mhz for a very quiet, low powered passively cooled retro system. The heatsink doesn't even get warm to the touch after running prime95 in win98 for 24 hours.

Reply 9 of 17, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably it depends where you live and where you search them, but anyway, they are not common. I have more than 500 slot 1 CPUs, none of them 1000/100.
PII - you'll find all of them without problems, 350 is probably most common, 300 (Klamath version) and 450 are a bit harder to find.
PIII - 450 and 500 are extremely common. 533, 550 and 600 (133 bus) are also common. 600 (100 bus) is a little harder to find.
Anything above can be hard to find, especially on 100 bus, but up to 800 MHz you can still find them.

Reply 10 of 17, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Katmai500 wrote on 2019-06-02, 19:12:

I'd classify them as uncommon, but not rare. They pop up from time to time. I bought one last year for $30. I felt that was pretty reasonable since people on eBay like to ask $100+ for them.

Intel didn't make a ton of them, because by the time the 1 GHz Pentium III was affordable for the masses most OEM systems had transitioned to Socket 370 and 133 FSB. The high-end OEM space also included i820 systems, which would have used the 1000/133 Slot 1 chip. The 1000/100 Slot 1 was in some of the high end BX-based OEM systems in early 2000, and sold boxed for upgrades. The later and more common SL4KL S-spec was only sold as retail boxed.

Are you sure about the early 2000 at the 100mhz version? I did not find anything about it before late 2000, early 2001.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 11 of 17, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I purchased recently a 750MHz 100FSB Slot 1 and running nicely 1GHZ 133FSB without voltage rise 😀.

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 12 of 17, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rare and expensive.
Its the sort of thing you find once or twice a year on ebay if youre lucky, and I would expect a price of £150+ (U$175+)

Ive seen them on ebay a few times over the past few years with a £200 BiN price and decided not to.

Reply 13 of 17, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought 2 of them like 15 years ago for a small price and they are now happily powering my ASUS P2B-DS.
Sure, I could modify adapters and tweak stuff to even allow for dual Tualatin "kings" (Jepp, revision D03 board), but I rather keep it at stock.
That combo never failed me and is currently set up for rcovery of various backup tapes. So reliability is key point here.

P.S.: it even runs a current Debian Linux from an 64 GB IDE DOM) as second OS

Reply 14 of 17, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-04-16, 23:15:

Rare and expensive.
Its the sort of thing you find once or twice a year on ebay if youre lucky, and I would expect a price of £150+ (U$175+)

Ive seen them on ebay a few times over the past few years with a £200 BiN price and decided not to.

I think it was about 6 months ago someone on ebay beat me out for getting one as I was unwilling to go over $40 usd. I was the 2nd highest bidder. I was shocked that's what it went for as for all previous ones I saw sell for for $100

Reply 15 of 17, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I think its a question of getting lucky on ebay.
I mean I picked up a pair of 1400 PIIIs for about the same cost as there is a single one on there now.

On the other hand people are getting desperate for money now so the prices of things have fallen a lot over the past year. Ive seen it with audio separates.
People wont buy processors when they need to buy pies

Right now there is a 1000/133 on there in the USA for £47.42 + £57.40 shipping.

If you can prove me wrong with an actual example of something you can buy today in UK/EU ?

Reply 16 of 17, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like raz_pl said, it's much simpler and cheaper to get a SL5QV (P3 1000 FSB 100 socket 370) + a simple slotket with coppermine support. I got a hold of 4 SL5QW chips (1100MHz @ FSB100 skt 370), and used two of them in an MSI master board for a while, but have since moved them. One went into to my main slot 1 build, and the other back in my CPU tray with the other 3.

If you have a mainboard that lets you set vcore down to 1.5v or a fancy slotket, you can even go for a SL5VR / SL6JT (Tualatin celeron 1300MHz fsb 100). For boards that support 1.5v vcore you just need to pin-mod the celeron and it will be detected as a 1300MHz pentium 3. And let me tell you, these things are pretty fun to use in a 440BX, and you don't have to worry about the missing AGP clock divider for FSB133.

Reply 17 of 17, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As said above, it is not difficult to obtain the socket 370 chips and use a slotket. You only need to take care that the slotket is reliable held in the slot.

But if you want to run them in dual cpu configuration, it's way trickier to get them run. Most slotket are not dual capable per se.
There are only a selected few, which are (also not cheap) and there are some, which can be modded for dual use.
Here, Tualatin celerons are not feasible, as there are not dual-capable. Anyway, on a dual Tualatin-capable board you'd probably invest in the best you can (the "kings"), anyway ...

So for the dual boards you pay the premium for avoiding to look for those rare slotkets or the time to modify the slotkets.