VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I built a home server based on ASUS P5E + Q9550... I throwed a bunch of drives, different sizes, 6 of them connected to the motherboard...
Later I also installed PERC 6iR so I can connect rest of the drives... I thought it would work right away, but nope. It doesn't work - it won't even start Boot ROM and it's not visible in the system as well (lspci under linux won't show it).
It worked on some other LGA775 motherboard (but with 915 chipset) and it works fine in my modern PC (AMD X470 chipset, Ryzen 1700X). I updated firmware to 1.33 LSI ER firmware without problems but still it won't show up.
I've tried the tape mod on it (isolating SMBUS) but still no success... I've tried different BIOS configurations as well (regarding Option ROM and interrupt 19). J-Micron SATA/PATA controller is turned off in the setup as I don't need it.

Do you guys have any ideas?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It really doesn't like that motherboard. I used one to run some 15k SAS drives in RAID 0 before I got SSDs. I found that with the tape it was hit and miss if the card would show up. I ended up physically cutting the tracks. After cutting the tracks the card showed up consistently and I could boot from it. I daily drove the system like this for some time, but it eventually became unstable and in the end stopped posting. Not sure if this was just a coincidence. I did manage to get my data of the array, but I haven't tried the card in anything else since.

Reply 2 of 2, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.ido wrote:

It really doesn't like that motherboard. I used one to run some 15k SAS drives in RAID 0 before I got SSDs. I found that with the tape it was hit and miss if the card would show up. I ended up physically cutting the tracks. After cutting the tracks the card showed up consistently and I could boot from it. I daily drove the system like this for some time, but it eventually became unstable and in the end stopped posting. Not sure if this was just a coincidence. I did manage to get my data of the array, but I haven't tried the card in anything else since.

Thanks for the reply. I might try to do this... Not that I paid much for the card anyway...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg