VOGONS

First post, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I've had this 486 board for a bit and have never really had time to get a good look at configuring it correctly to see if it works.

I took off the leaky battery - I don't see any significant damage and I did neutralize it as best I could. As near as I can tell the traces look okay, unless someone sees something different?

I've identified it as a Biostar MB-1433UHT-A Ver. 4 and I've found the manual for the jumper settings. That said, this is really not my wheelhouse - I'm a bit more familiar with Socket 7 and up than I am with these Socket 3 boards.

As near as I can tell it's a UMC based board, and it's a PCI/ISA/VLB board that looks pretty sweet.

I'm not sure how to tell how much Cache this has on board - it looks to be configured for 256k and I'm not sure that's correct.

Anyone know if this will boot without a battery? It has an external battery connection but at this time I don't have anything to connect there.

The photos attached are before I took off all the extraneous jumpers so I could see the board a bit better - so anything that was only on one jumper post (i.e. not doing anything) has since been removed.

IMG_20190602_141417-min.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190602_141417-min.jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20190602_141424-min.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190602_141424-min.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20190602_141430-min.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190602_141430-min.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20190602_141427-min.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190602_141427-min.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20190602_141434-min.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190602_141434-min.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by LHN91 on 2019-06-03, 03:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, I've gone through the manual and I believe I've configured it correctly - no boot and no beeps at present. I took a stab at trying a POST card, and I've attached a photo of the code I'm seeing.

This is supposedly an Award BIOS based on the manual.

IMG_20190602_224016-min.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190602_224016-min.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license

The (admittedly poor) manual I got with the POST card suggests that this is the point where the BIOS checks for the battery condition. I've made a rather hack jobbed attempt to wire a CR2032 to the External Battery header with no success, but I'm honestly not sure if that's the right thing to try.

I'll also note that I get the same code with or without RAM, and with or without a VGA card. I've yet to try putting any multi-i/o card in.

Does it sound like I might be on the right track here? Any suggestions for what to try next? I'd like to get this board operational, it'd be my first 486 desktop since probably the mid-to-late 90's, and that one I was too young to do much with.

Reply 2 of 7, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so looking at your external battery connector pin1 should be positive and pin 4 negative (the one closest to the edge of the board) is that how your connecting it?

check your battery with a multimeter to see how much it is putting out could be a bit flat and they only output 3v.

If the external battery is not working then the next easiest step is solder to wires to the normal battery header and attach a working barrel battery if you have one. This will cover any battery boot issue 100% unless the physical traces have damage

Reply 3 of 7, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe that was how I was connecting it - there's a good chance the battery I was using is a bit flat though, I'll have to test.

The rest I may need to wait until pay day - the soldering equipment I have on hand is way too powerful for a circuit board (it's an older Weller gun-style), and I can't find my multimeter. I also don't have any spare working barrel batteries - would a 3xAA pack possibly work?

Reply 4 of 7, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the internal battery is set to be automatically charging, the barrel is rechargeable but connecting AA pack to internal terminals is not a good idea because they will be sending a voltage back to the AA which are not rechargeable. Don't do it

But why don't you connect the 3xAA to the external battery terminal, external battery header does not charge the battery

Reply 5 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting board. Perhaps the predecessor to the MB-8433UUD? Are you able to benchmark it against the 8433UUD?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 7, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd love to be able to benchmark it, but no luck getting it to post yet - not to mention this is literally my only 486 Desktop motherboard and I only have this DX33 and a SX25 in a Toshiba T1910CS for available 486 processors.

If I get it to post and run then I'll definitely run some benchmarks. Right now I'm waiting for available funds to get a proper multimeter, soldering iron, and 3xAA battery pack to see if that gives me any luck.

I'm also working under the assumption that the fact it's giving me any post codes at all is ultimately a good sign the BIOS is probably OK and the CPU is functional. Not sure if these are safe assumptions or not. As well I'm a bit limited on RAM to test with so I'm really hoping the sticks I have are working.