VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I upgraded the CPU in my Thinkpad 600e to a Pentium III Coppermine 600 MHz. It is well known that some hacks have to be applied to make this work. First, I had to disable the L2 cache in the BIOS in order to get it to boot at all. Then I had to re-enable it in software after the fact using SetMul. Making sure with CACHECHK in DOS, that worked! Before re-enabling, it said I probably had fake cache. After re-enabling, it said the cache was present, working, and fast. So I just added “SETMUL L2E” to my AUTOEXEC.BAT before anything else has loaded. (This is Win98SE)

(Edit: forgot to mention the CPU is currently running at 500 MHz instead of 600, due to not having applied the SpeedStep disabling mod. Didn’t want to start soldering resistors and cutting traces.)

Doing some tests with MPEG-1 videos, I can’t get it to stutter with a 8192kbps 1024x576 resolution MPEG-1 movie, even while it is streaming over the WiFi using VLC. Works perfectly. With the previous PII/400, it couldn’t do this.

Now, I’d like to play DVDs on this machine. So I put a DVD drive in it. But VLC cannot seem to play DVDs without stuttering and barely being able to play the audio at all (just plays some bits here and there). Why would this be? I cannot figure out why it wouldn’t be able to handle playing a DVD.

And now I am wondering: is my L2 cache *really* enabled?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 15, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what video card do you have? at the time it was common for the video card to accelerate DVD decoding,
but you will want to use proprietary software (like powerdvd) from the time for that and not VLC
also dvd is mpeg2 afaik.

there are lots of benchmarks that can test l2 speed, or even by the super pi time or any other basic cpu benchmark you can easily notice if l2 is on or not...
sisoft sanda, or the much newer aida64 have l2 cache speed tests that are easy to run on windows

Reply 2 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CSS, on top of decoding MPEG your CPU has to unscramble encrypted data stream from the drive? no idea how legit players handle that, I always played ripped files from hdd (DeCSS, file sharing)
you can also try another player, like https://www.smplayer.info is agui for mplayer and mpv

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 3 of 15, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need MPEG2 acceleration support. It's going to come from either Video Card + Software Player Support, or MPEG2 Accelerator Card + Software Player Support. A cheap cool way to get support is with something like a Creative DXR2.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think VLC is a particularly good choice.
Using a DirectShow-compatible player would give you a better chance to use as much hardware acceleration as possible.
Something like PowerDVD would be a good bet.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 15, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd bet if your L2 cache wasnt enabled it would be performing slower than the previous P2/400.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 6 of 15, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PowerDVD does work well on Windows 98SE. It certainly works for playing DVDs on my Pentium II 266 and a Asus M3800 TNT2 M64 graphics card (without stuttering) 🤣 .

One thing you haven't mentioned is the amount of RAM you have. PowerDVD likes to use a lot - on my system Win98SE + PowerDVD use up 194 MB of RAM.

Reply 7 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you attempted to update the bios ? This might solve the cache issue, isn't it ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 15, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can check the L2 cache with Everest's memory / cache benchmark.

Lavfilters are great, efficient codecs for use with WMP; they're configurable and I know of no media they can't play. I've never tried them under Win98 but someone apparently was on an old version https://msfn.org/board/topic/153566-windows-9 … y-video-player/

For just DVDs, PowerDVD, as already suggested, seems an obvious choice.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 9 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, thanks for the advice guys -

I tried PowerDVD 4. It works! No stuttering; everything just plays splendidly. So how about that. I wonder what's hobbling VLC.

I have 544 MB of RAM in this thing (32 MB onboard, plus two 256 MB sticks). Yes, I've limited the file cache so it doesn't die after 512.

I'll look into tools to test the L2 cache. But yeah for now at least, I'm pretty happy with PowerDVD.

The next thing is to see if I can stick a higher-resolution file on a dual layer DVD.

Reply 10 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

I wonder what's hobbling VLC.

It's a cross-platform solution, which especially in the early years didn't do much to leverage hardware acceleration, because that requires platform-specific APIs.
So on early hardware, VLC is mostly a software solution, and will require a fast CPU.
PowerDVD is based on the DirectShow API, which was the first common API to offer video acceleration via so-called overlays.
So for old hardware, a player like PowerDVD is much better. It can query for specific DirectShow filters that your IHV has included in the video driver package.
On current hardware the difference is smaller. Firstly, modern VLC also supports hardware acceleration reasonably well under Windows. Secondly, CPUs and GPUs are much faster these days, so video playback isn't as critical. Playing DVDs entirely in software is no issue anymore.

Reply 11 of 15, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:
It's a cross-platform solution, which especially in the early years didn't do much to leverage hardware acceleration, because th […]
Show full quote

It's a cross-platform solution, which especially in the early years didn't do much to leverage hardware acceleration, because that requires platform-specific APIs.
So on early hardware, VLC is mostly a software solution, and will require a fast CPU.
PowerDVD is based on the DirectShow API, which was the first common API to offer video acceleration via so-called overlays.
So for old hardware, a player like PowerDVD is much better. It can query for specific DirectShow filters that your IHV has included in the video driver package.
On current hardware the difference is smaller. Firstly, modern VLC also supports hardware acceleration reasonably well under Windows. Secondly, CPUs and GPUs are much faster these days, so video playback isn't as critical. Playing DVDs entirely in software is no issue anymore.

As I was thinking about it, I figured it was something to this tune. Thanks for clarifying!

I thought Media Player Classic used hardware acceleration and DirectShow filters (I do have the K-Lite codec pack installed), but trying to use MPC results in worse performance than VLC.

Reply 12 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

I thought Media Player Classic used hardware acceleration and DirectShow filters (I do have the K-Lite codec pack installed), but trying to use MPC results in worse performance than VLC.

PowerDVD also includes some of its own optimized DirectShow filters (which can also be used by Windows Media Player or other DirectShow-applications if configured correctly).
DirectShow itself is no guarantee that things will be optimized and accelerated, but with the right codecs, filters and such, it can be. And PowerDVD does that.

Reply 13 of 15, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Pentium II @350Mhz (333MHz slightly overclocked) with a card that couldn't accelerate video. With a stripped down Linux (GeeXboX 0.9) I could play DVDs without any troubles, and some DivX (others played as slideshows).

I guess any computer that can do more than 500 MHz should play any DVD without acceleration, and slower computers should work provided they had the right software (PowerDVD) coupled with a supported video card.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 14 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote:

I guess any computer that can do more than 500 MHz should play any DVD without acceleration

I think that depends a lot on the target resolution. Scaling video is very expensive without acceleration. So playing a DVD at 1024x768 or higher resolution is going to be very CPU-intensive.

Reply 15 of 15, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
Zup wrote:

I guess any computer that can do more than 500 MHz should play any DVD without acceleration

I think that depends a lot on the target resolution. Scaling video is very expensive without acceleration. So playing a DVD at 1024x768 or higher resolution is going to be very CPU-intensive.

Does anything from the P3 era NOT have overlay/scaling/YUV support? Even my old Gateway Pentium MMX laptop with C&T 65554 could play low-res video full-screen if I set the right option in VLC. My Dell Lattitude L400 laptop at 500MHz could play 640x480 XVID files scaled to fit the 1024x768 LCD and that only had the mobile version of Rage Pro.

The only problems I can see with playing a DVD on a coppermine CPU is if the DVD drive were connected at USB 1.1 speed then it wouldn't be able to keep up, or if the video player was trying to do proper deinterlacing and output 60hz (but that's usually not the default, much to my dismay)