VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, been a loooooooong time since I've been on here or uploaded a video but I caught the bug again kinda. I was out today and looked at the usual place I used to go to find computers and low and behold I found two of interest. 🤣

The one I'm talking about though is the 486 Epson "Action Tower". It's original owner upgraded it from it's original Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 and as a result there is only 60MB of free space on the HDD. I would like to delete Windows off the system entirely if I can and only boot to DOS but I'm not sure how to go about that while leaving everything else intact. Ideally I'd like not to reinstall DOS if I can cause I am no expert at getting drivers working in DOS and everything seems to work ok for the most part so I'd like to leave it that way. 🤣

If someone could help me out I would be very VERY grateful as it's been a while since I've messed with any vintage computers. 🤣

dEElnQ7.jpg

TYi1Neu.jpg

l5csL0O.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all you should make a backup of it if anything go wrong.
Then I guess you could delete most directories in the WINDOWS directory (except the COMMAND directory) and the program files directory.

Take a look at autoexec.bat and config.sys to check where the drivers are stored.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 14, by Andrew T.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the original owner actually did iron Windows 95 over their DOS/3.1 installation (and they remembered to check the option to preserve DOS/3.1 system files, and didn't remove them later), Windows 95 will be listed in Add/Remove Programs and it will be trivially easy to revert. Of course, that's a lot of ifs, and I'm willing to bet that this isn't the case...

Reply 3 of 14, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice catch!!! I envy those that just happen upon this stuff, I presume that it all passed the "kitty" inspection!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 4 of 14, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Andrew No sadly because it's such a small HDD it would seem he removed the 3.11 and DOS files so there is no easy undo option to return it back to the way it was. 🙁

@Buckeye Yeah infact she was sleeping in the monitor box when I got up this morning. 🤣

Reply 6 of 14, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is possible but keep in mind this is not an elegant solution and the supplied DOS version will always report as Windows 95.

Click Start, Shutdown, and Shutdown the computer in MS-DOS mode.

cd\
attrib msdos.sys -r -a -s -h
edit msdos.sys

Change line BOOTGUI=1 to BOOTGUI=0
remove the following lines:

WinDir
WinBootDir
HostWinBootDrv

Save (reboot optional).

mkdir C:\DOS
cd c:\Windows\command
copy *.* C:\DOS

Edit the existing paths in autoexec.bat and config.sys so that they point to their new location in C:\DOS and add the following lines to the top of the autoexec.bat:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS;

Save and reboot.

If everything works as intended you can proceed to deltree the Windows directory.
I tested this procedure with Windows 98 but it should apply to Windows 95 too.

1ojkre.png

Last edited by blurks on 2019-06-05, 05:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 14, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would using DOSVER TSR get rid of it saying version is Windows 95?

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 8 of 14, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there is a 2 floppy set of the China Dos Unions modified MS Dos 7.1 that doesn't show the windows caption. It's over at winworldpc.com

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 9 of 14, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I use that version for my DOS rig. I've had no issues regarding the version. I do keep DOSVER on had just in case but so far its been great. I mostly use it because of FAT32 support and I didn't want to have Windows on the HDD at all just DOS.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 12 of 14, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Btw guys I just went ahead and formatted then reinstalled DOS 6.22. Mostly everything is working fine, I'm just having some problems with the CD-ROM at the moment since I forgot to copy the Config.sys and CD-ROM drivers that it would have pointed me at had I remembered to look at the Config.sys. Instead I grabbed the Autoexec.bat and Command.sys on accident. :\