VOGONS

Reply 20 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel I should say I think I misread the drive label btw if you google what I originally wrote almost nothing comes up but if you put in CR MC-FX001DE then the exact drive shows up with images.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No but I will tonight. I haven't done anything yet, been busy with other stuff.

Reply 23 of 47, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yes everything was working before I reinstalled DOS, the previous owner had installed Windows 95 over the original Windows 3.11 and DOS and deleted the backup because of lack of HDD space so sadly I had to rescue what I could and reinstall to get it back to even a mildly acceptable state. However because I'm an idiot I forgot to copy Config.sys and the CD-ROM drivers that it would have pointed me to had I remembered to look at that. Both the CD-ROM and the Sound Card were working fine, and now after the reinstall I've got the Sound Card working great but the CD-ROM just won't detect properly.

Try the UDVD2 driver here:

http://optimizr.dyndns.org/dos/drivers.html

It works on everything. You will still need to load MSCDEX of course in your autoexec but try this for your config sys and let us know.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 24 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It probably also supports "brute-forcing", searching every IRQ&I/O combo you give it:

Code: Select all
DEVICE=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /P:170,15 /P:1E8,11 /P:168,10

Why are the values for P so weird looking in your example here what does the comma mean in this case? I thought P was the address like 310 320 etc.

Reply 25 of 47, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first number is the I/O port, the second number is the IRQ. Many CD-ROM drivers insist you specify the port and IRQ to look for the drive.

1f0,14 is the Primary IDE port and IRQ. 170,15 = Secondary. 1e8,11 = Tertiary. 168,10 = Quaternary.

On reflection, the /P:1f0,14 is clearly not going to work because that would mean your sound card's IDE controller would be in conflict with the IDE controller for the hard drives (unless you use SCSI and have disabled on-board IDE). If you have both a primary and secondary IDE controller in use, then eliminating the /P:170,15 would also be a good idea. This means the driver will only attempt to locate the CD-ROM on the tertiary or quaternary IDE controller.

Ports like 310 or 320 are not usually associated with IDE controllers (the PC-XT did use 320-323 for a fixed disk, that's an MFM, not IDE, controller).

Reply 26 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried it with both the Oak driver and the Mitsumi one and no dice on both, I'm thinking about just hooking it to the primary ide (replacing the single ended one with a multi drive ribbon) and seeing if it will detect.

Reply 27 of 47, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

and the Mitsumi one

Forget MTMCDAS.SYS-- it's for the proprietary Mitsumi interface. Your drive does not use that interface, it's an IDE drive (unless you've given us the wrong model number). And if it IS a proprietary drive, it's not going to work on your primary IDE controller (and probably the system might not boot with it attached that way).

Reply 28 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well after the oak one failed I already had the other so I tried it anyway just to be sure.

Reply 29 of 47, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Therefore I remember having the same problem with a PC 386 or 486DLC.
However, it resolves by loading the right driver to detect the IDE port on the sound card.
I think you miss that command, searching my notes and I found this:
In config.sys
Device=C:\awsound\CDsetup.sys / P: 220
basically I have the sound card drivers in the awsound directory, including cdsetup.sys.
I'm pretty sure there should be something similar for your sound card, which may have another name, but the command is that, and without the CD player I don't think it will work.
Give it a try, but in case you need to find the DOS soundcard drivers on the net (if you don't already have them).

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 30 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm yeah I think you may be right honestly. Since my card mentions the CD on setup but doesn't actually add any lines to the autoexec.bat and config.sys

Reply 31 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also here's the reason I keep trying that Mitsumi driver (This time the one that was in the Mozart folder), it seems to see the drive and everything but then decides it can't find it for some reason. Am I reading this wrong?
Also yes I tried this with the Oak driver, both the one I had downloaded that you provided (or someone did earlier at least) and the one that came with the Mozart Soundcard.

UG8idVF.jpg

Reply 32 of 47, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes the driver should be that, only yours is called MTMCDAE.SYS
And if it says "driver not loaded" it probably won't work.
In my PC I don't remember what it says, but probably the driver loads.
It is possible that you need another driver if you use a CD (Drive) different from the original one, you should see if there are other files (drivers) in the directory and try them.
If you can find one that works, you can definitely solve it.
In my PC, however, after the line that loads CDsetup.sys, I have another line below like this:
Devicehigh /L:1,23888=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS / D:\MSCD000
and with the OAKCDROM.SYS file it works.
I had tried previously with ATAPI_CD.SYS instead of OAKCDROM.SYS but it was wrong.
You have to make attempts and see if with other files you find one that works, it is possible that with the file I use might work, maybe here in vogons you can find DOS drivers for CD players.
Or, if maybe you have time to photograph your sound card and your cd player (even the label) maybe you could figure out if there's anything missing.
However, I believe it is solvable, there is only the right drivers to find, then if the CD is recognized almost 100% you have solved.
Remember then in Config.sys it takes 2 lines to load 2 drivers, the first for the CDROM port and the second to create the Drive (D:\ or the assigned letter).

Reply 33 of 47, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry but I noticed now that another user had suggested you use another driver, that's why MTMCDAE.SYS doesn't work.
Find another driver file and you will see that it resolves.
However, if by chance I can find a file on the net that is the same as the cdsetup.sys I have, I'll put a link.
Unfortunately I have that file in a CD and finding it in the middle of the others is not easy, recovering it from the PC you could but I should find a floppy since it doesn't have USB.

Reply 34 of 47, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In this link you will find several CD-ROM drivers:
http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/
Maybe it's easier to look for the DOS drivers of your sound card, which I understood correctly is a Mozart (do you know which model it is?). Maybe you find us the driver you need.

Reply 35 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you read any of what I've posted back? I tried the OakCDrom.sys driver as well as a few other generic ones with no luck.

Reply 36 of 47, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did some research and tried to remember how to do it.
In the last link we find really many files, some have a list of what they contain, I seem to have seen a Mozart DOS driver.
Then I found other things, instructions where they explain how to install a CD-ROM by connecting it to the Audio Card.
Obviously there are various models of Mozart Audio Cards, the difference is the chipset (Opti for example), that's why I asked if you know the model or a photo.

However in the instructions I have I connect a Philips CD-ROM to the Audio tab.
He says:
1) copy the DDATAPI.SYS file to the HD
2) Insert in CONFIG.SYS a line like this:
DEVICE=C:\DDATAPI.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:220 /V

The 220 I put it, it can change, it depends on the setup.

then it says to delete the line of the Mozart CD-ROM device (DEVICE = CD17I0.SYS etc.), inserted in the CONFIG.SYS and put that of the DDATAPI.SYS

3) Insert a line similar to the following in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
C:\DOS\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001

where /D:\MSCD001 must be the same in Config.sys and in Autoexec.bat

I believe the DDATAPI.SYS file is able to make your CD-ROM work.

I will however try to restart one of my OLD-PCs, maybe if I am lucky I recover the CDSETUP.SYS file and try to put the link here.

Reply 37 of 47, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the CDSETUP.SYS file I have in my PC on a CD.
I enclose the file here.
Try it and see if it connects.
I noticed that it takes up very little space, I don't think it's compressed, if it is, you have to decompress it.
If it does not connect it is possible that some lines are missing for example in Autoexec.bat
In my PC I also have the following lines:
set BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T4
plus 2 other lines that activate sound card files.

Attachments

• Filename
    CDSETUP.zip
    File size
    1.12 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File comment
    driver als200
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 38 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GOT IT WORKING WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!! Playing Warcraft : Orcs and Humans at this very moment. 🤣

Basically what I ended up doing was giving up, going out to my car and ripping a two headed IDE ribbon from a Pentium machine I had in the back and boom I didn't even have to do anything but unplug the HDD and CD ROM and put them both on the same cable and connect it to the mobo and redo the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to the original response I was given and use the OakCDROM.sys. 🤣

nfARO48.jpg

Reply 39 of 47, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm glad you solved it.
Also in my PC it works with OAKCDROM.SYS
Just to know, but is the CD-ROM connected to the sound card, or to the controller?