VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a number of old early nineties VGA cards and almost all of them have some form of image quality issue. One has rolling bars, another has vertical lines, another is blocky, etc. Except one, a WD VGA, which has great picture.

Is this a common problem with old VGA cards on LCD displays? Unfortunately I have no crt to test with. Could it be an old caps issue?

Has anyone experienced similar issues and managed to resolve them?

Reply 2 of 3, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. Pretty common. And I see it on VLB cards as well. I have only had three ISA VGA cards, that did not produce these image issues. One being a cheap low grade Cirrus Logic CL-5420. The other two, were an ET-3000 with VGA and EGA output and then my Orchid ET-4000.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I second that. I believe it's no so much the fault of the graphics chips (it is digital internally), though,
but rather a bandwith limit and/or related to the used RAMDACs and the other parts installed on the cards..

Another reason that I *believe* that could be the cause are the stricter RFI/TVI regulations of the 1980s/early 1990s.
Back in these days, telecommuications authorities were much more conscientious than they are today.

In these days, all commercial computer/telephone equippment had to be properly shielded.
Violations had ben pursued and sanctioned.

By comparison, the mid-90s, when PCI cards showed up, the situation was incredible relaxed (for the better or worse).

Nowadays, even professionals do install unshielded hobbyist grade hardware..
Most devices don't even contain until-then elementary parts like removable fuses or an el-cheapo shield made of cardboard/aluminium foil. 😢

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//