VOGONS

First post, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have a second setup I am working on now, another Gateway 2000 build, Pentium II based, Intel 440 OEM motherboard thing.
I noticed this problem in my other setup, was really puzzled about it but ignored it, but now that I have two near identical setups, I realized the only difference between the two is the use of a real hard drive vs a CompactFlash.

I have a 20GB IBM hard drive with a Windows 98 SE setup, not full. I have a 16GB CF card where I plonked the exact same system (save for drivers and stuff) and use on one of the systems. I have teh system boot straight to a command line and play games from there.

What happen on the CF setups: Some games (Duke 3D, Doom) show issues when reading or maybe definitely when saving data to disk.
Duke 3D hangs on exit when trying to save config (I am guessing)
Its setup also fails when you try to save and exit (says it cannot write to the config file)
Doom and Doom 2 sometimes need to be executed twice to boot. The first time they always come out with some kind of error code spewed out.

What happens with the real HD: none of that. Everything works fine.

Those are the main consistent issues that I can reproduce and tell you about. I am pulling my hairs because I don't see what could be happening here. Is it related to the access speed? I changed some of the BIOS settings (like drive mode, I have the CF set up as FPIO3/DMA1, LBA off, Mode 0) lightly, but I have not noticed a change.

Anyone run into this issue before and could help?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, yes, I had similar issues once. When running Windows 9x on a CF card, the system behaved jerky.
Changing the DMA option for HDDs in device manager helped a bit..
I guess the root of the issue is that the CF card wasn't meade for multitasking, ie.e. reading and writing simultanously.

Anyway, maybe another CF card model might behave better (an industrial type, maybe ?). Or try an SD card instead.
Android/iOS devices use them now, so SD card makers do take this use case (SD card as an SSD replacement) more into account.

If you like best performance, maybe using a recent 64 to 128GB SATA SSD will help.
There are SATA-ATA converters out there. Some do even work. 😉

Or you could try to use a DOM, Disk-On-Module.

That being said, these are just some ideas. I merely use the CF card/9x combo in Thin Clients currently.
In DOS or Windows 3.1x I almost never had issues with CF cards..

PS: Also take care of alignment when using modern HDDs or Flash disks. FAT32 isn't quite ideal for this.
See SSD in a Vintage Computer

You can try to use SDFormatter v4 to format flash media and see if this improves disk performance.
Unlike Windows/DOS, it knows how to properly format SD cards (and thus, maybe CF cards, too).

Edit: small edit.

Attachments

• sdf4.gif
    Filename
    sdf4.gif
    File size
    19.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, yes, I had similar issues once. When running Windows 9x on a CF card, the system behaved jerky.
Changing the DMA option for HDDs in device manager helped a bit..
I guess the root of the issue is that the CF card wasn't meade for multitasking, ie.e. reading and writing simultanously.

I'm not experiencing issues when in Windows/multitasking. All the issues are in pure DOS mode and, as far as I can tell, only when trying to save to files. It doesn't happen every time I try to save (like, I can copy files to the drive easily and without problems using Dos Navigator).

At this point considering the cost of CF vs SDF, even though SSD adapters are more expensive, I am starting to consider them for the next build But for now I will try to keep getting this to run. There has to be a way.

Funnily enough: maybe it is the CF card, I have a Libretto 50CT with a 2GB CF as hard drive, and with the same games, this does not happen. I had not thought of that until just now. Will have to see what is up.

Hoping more people reply to this and see if there's a pattern. This is definitely the biggest CF I have ever used as an HD on nay device ever.

Reply 3 of 4, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had this problem while trying to use a CF card as well. I ended up giving up and using a 1GB Disk On Module for that system instead. Pretty much any writing activity would fail if it didn't have the option to retry. It usually worked on the second try if the software had the option.

Does the 2GB CF in your Libretto show the same problem if it's in the PC you're having issues with?

Old precedes antique.

Reply 4 of 4, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Error 0x7CF wrote:

Does the 2GB CF in your Libretto show the same problem if it's in the PC you're having issues with?

Good idea, I should try that, as long as I don't boot into Windows (don't wanna mess with the drivers, setting up that Libretto was a nightmare), it should be OK!

Another thing I noticed: the Windows 98 logo does not show up at boot, I briefly see some garble on screen. After messing with some of the settings (transfer mode, DMA mode) I managed to make it show, but duke nukem's config program still refuses to save.

Windows seems to work absolutely fine, I am using it and writing this from that machine actually.