VOGONS

First post, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm just fishing for any info anyone has. I mean, ideally, one of y'all ended up with a box of adapters wondering where all the laptops are - more likely the recyclers cut the cords off for copper.

Anyway, I've discovered that all search engines I've tried can either find no information or are just so aggressively dumb they're not capable of understanding their own advanced options anymore - all the responses are for newer, different voltage adapters. I've noticed that search engines seem to be less use every year. I mean, it's not like they have an incentive to send you to anyone but advertisers anyway.

Early Toshiba Satellite laptops had 9v (center positive male on laptop) power adapters. The later ones were apparently 18V. I have several early laptops. I don't have good information on amperage.

My "universal" adapter has the right connector but only goes down to 12V.

I have the awful feeling I'm going to have to build a power supply from scratch. I guess it's about time to build a proper bench supply.

I have a few different models, the ones in front of me are T1000 and T1100.

ToshibaT1100PLUS-2.jpg
Filename
ToshibaT1100PLUS-2.jpg
File size
705.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ToshibaT1100PLUS-1.jpg
Filename
ToshibaT1100PLUS-1.jpg
File size
504.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: The T1000 and T1100s are 9V, there's a T1200 that's 13.5V with an odd 2-pin connector (like a smaller standard consumer electronics keyed 2-pin), a T4400 is 21V with a connector with 4 tiny pins in a row - I think these people just hated the future, that's all.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 1 of 4, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need to be careful with your terminology - you have a T1100plus you do not have a T1100!! and power wise it appears they are not the same.

From a bit of quick googling I found the following pages, which make it clear that the T1100 is different from the T1100plus.
Note - both pages have "IMPORTANT: T1100, not the T1100 PLUS" in bright red letters at the top.
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshi … er%20source.htm
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/toshiba_t1100 … 1100_pvabps.htm

Reply 2 of 4, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More info:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-19849.html

Voltage: Computer DC input - 9VDC, 1.1A (+ = core; - = shell)
Battery: Internal rechargeable NiCD battery pack

9V @1.1A is a bit of a tall order for a DIY PSU.
I would recommend getting your hands on a decent 0-30v 2A bench power supply, preferably with adjustable current limiting.
If you then decide to build your own PSU, then you are looking at a linear design (use a pay attention to minimising heat dissipation, and fit a suitable heatsink on the regulator),
or a switching design. Note that the adjustable switching PSU modules from china are notorious for promising to deliver 2 or 3 amps, but then letting out the magic smoke when you pull 0.5.
You could feed either from an existing 12VDC supply thus avoiding having to dabble with transformers and 110 or 240V AC.

Note that I got this info by googling for

"T1100plus" adaptor voltage

Reply 4 of 4, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, quick update, I didn't need a search engine to find the voltage, it's printed on the device. The problem is finding an original adapter, which I had hoped to do. It would be nice since at least one of these will end up in my collection (probably a few since I found the Zenith in the bunch). 40 minutes of "quick googling" netted me nothing but expired eBay auctions and lots of 19.5V adapters in the search results, binging and duckduckgoing too.

Secondly, 1.1A is not especially unusual or powerful, so I don't think it would be hard for a DIY setup, I mean you could make one out of a PC PSU, of which I have tons.

But thirdly, I think I came to the same conclusion as dr.ido - 9V wall-warts are common, and looking through a few it looks like 9V+ 5.5mm center-positive is *extremely* common. I actually have one but the amperage is too low, I looked *those* up and they're easy to find. I might rig it to a short extension given how inconvenient fat wall-warts are,

I may never see an original one (you may have noticed most old laptops for sale don't have power supplies), but a non-original substitute should not be hard to come up with. Heck there seem to be new ones with the correct specs for <$10. It seems unlikely I'll be building *this* PSU from scratch - but I would still someday like an original, for collector's sake.

*Too* *many* *things*!