VOGONS

First post, by Galaxian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm attempting to set up multiple floppy controllers in a 486 build, but I can't get it working.
I have an unknown brand floppy/IDE/IO controller card in the machine which works fine for the CD-ROM, HDD and two floppy drives.
However, I would like to add another floppy controller for another floppy drive.

I'm not entirely sure how to do this, though I've read that it is possible.
Currently, I can't get any further than a Hard Disk Failure (80) (Or something similar) error.
Or the third floppy drive I'm trying to add will try to read/seek when A or B does.

I've tried a few different configurations but haven't gotten anything working.
I'm sure someone here knows a lot more about this than I do.

The controller card I'm trying to add is a Western Digital WD1600v-SR2 bearing a copyright year of 1987.
I'm fairly certain this is a 16 bit controller.

Reply 1 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are the two cards in different ports? Did you try to use DRIVER.SYS to enable your new floppies?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 4, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First, the jumpers need to be set properly. The controller should tell you a "primary" and "secondary" setup.

2nd, get personal with Driver.sys. I've never done it (in dos) but you should be able to add as many floppy drives as you wish.

resources:

https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/floppies.html

https://www.vfrazee.com/ms-dos/6.22/help/driver.sys.htm

Also, welcome to the forums.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 4, by Galaxian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I found the manual for the controller card.
"This section briefly describes the installation of the controller board. DoNOT use the WD1006V-SR2 with an AT configured, AT compatible,or XT* diskette controller in the same system. Removal of the extradiskette controller is necessary for proper operation of the WD1006V-SR2. Disabling the diskette controller on the WD1006V-SR2 is NOT possible."

So now I suppose I need a different controller card.

Reply 4 of 4, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried using two "multi I/O" cards, one jumpered for primary FDC, another for secondary FDC, but no luck.
I suspect the problem was that while I/O addresses were different, DMA channels and IRQ were still the same, causing conflict.
I ended up with some special 4-floppy card.

In theory, a typical FDC (3F0h, IRQ 6, DMA 2) should work side by side with eg. AHA-1542B, where the FDC can be jumpered to 370h, IRQ 10, DMA 3.
But I'm not aware of any software supporting such parameters.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.