VOGONS

First post, by ZipoBibrok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems that 30-pin 4MB SIMM modules are getting uncomfortably rare and prices have risen. Suitable DRAM chips seem to be available from various places, so I'm considering making PCB's for new modules. Haven't really done RAM related stuff before, so few questions:

1. Are there compatibility issues with using 2pcs of 4M*4bit 2K refresh chips instead of the typical 8pcs of 4M*1bit? It seems that modules built with 4M*4bit 4K chips rarely work anywhere, but I don't see how 2K ones would be any different than using 1-bit chips.

2. Most SIMMs seem to have 4-layer PCBs, but I've seen some with 2-layer PCBs too. With 486 and sound card speeds, are there going to be actual data integrity issues with using 2-layer boards, or is it more EMC compliance thing?

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is something I'm actually doing already (waiting for parts and PCBs). I'm using 2x 4bit 2Mbyte chips per module (much like most 4MB modules I see) and no parity chip (but there's a spot for it).

2 layers will work fine when the power traces are fat and wide and all decoupling caps are where they should.

30pinSIMM.png

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by ZipoBibrok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote:
This is something I'm actually doing already (waiting for parts and PCBs). I'm using 2x 4bit 2Mbyte chips per module (much like […]
Show full quote

This is something I'm actually doing already (waiting for parts and PCBs). I'm using 2x 4bit 2Mbyte chips per module (much like most 4MB modules I see) and no parity chip (but there's a spot for it).

2 layers will work fine when the power traces are fat and wide and all decoupling caps are where they should.

30pinSIMM.png

Nice. Are you planning on selling those, or releasing the gerbers? I just started tinkering on EAGLE a few hours ago and my routing is currently a horrible mess, but having seen yours, is probably going to become uncomfortably similar.

Reply 3 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's only so many ways you can wire functionally same thing using same parts in same footprint 🤣.
I do have plans to sell these, there should be 50+ sticks available by end of month.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

those 4mb simms look so sweet - I actually got some by chance last week , never owned any in all the years I'm messing with old stuff

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website