486dx2-25 ?

Topic actions

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you run a 486-dx2-50 at 25mhz. ?
If i set the multiplier to 1x instead of 2x ?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 9, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you get an old MICRONICs 486 ISA motherboard the clock speed is set by a socketed oscillator, I stole some random oscillators off failed video cards and had fun overclocking and underclocking the system

Also the ISA divider was fully adjustable from 1x (bus) to ????

In theory boards of that type could run your processor at any speed, even a couple MHz

Reply 3 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Run the bus at 12.5MHz and you get 25MHz CPU clock, though performance is gonna be worse than 25MHz CPU and 25MHz bus. At least you can use your slowest memories 😜

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 9, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are motherboards that can set interesting bus speeds even without a socketed crystal. For example my FIC 486-GIO-VT can go as low as 8MHz. Or even lower but I could never boot the 2 and 4MHz settings... Even 8MHz was no good as it forgot how to write my HDD at that speed... 16MHz, on the other hand, worked perfectly both with ISA and VLB cards. 2x16MHz should give you 32. Not exactly 25 but not bad.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 6 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just get a DX-50, then you're covered for all bus speeds.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

And you are in for a lifetime of pain trying to get your hardware running on a 50MHz VLB 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

And you are in for a lifetime of pain trying to get your hardware running on a 50MHz VLB 🤣

Yes, For a VLB motherboard what is the best CPU to use in order to run slowest ?

486sx25 ?
486dx33 ?
486dx-50 ?
486dx-66 ?
486dx2-50 ?
486dx2-66 ?
AMD 486dx40 ?

I want to be able to play old DOS games that require a slow CPU. Like “wIng commander”.
I can use the turbo button feature and disable L1 Cache with “Setmul” utility to slow down the CPU even further.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-06-14, 11:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any of the DX/SX chips without internal multipliers will run at margin of error differences at 20MHz FSB if your board's clock generator can do 20MHz. Then you can disable onboard cache and that should bring it down to 386DX levels. If you also disable the internal cache (setmul should be able to do that I would think) you'll probably end up at AT speeds? If you have a functional Turbo header on the board using that could bring you down to XT speeds or so? Test and see 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.