VOGONS

First post, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I am making my first post on this forum. For the first time, I will present my Socket 7 system.
Configuration:
AMD K6-2 333MHz
128MB DIMM SDRAM
30GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 HDD
Sony CRX210E1 48x12x48x CD-RW drive
Panasonic 3.5 inch floppy drive
Lucky Tech P5MVP3 mainboard with VIA MVP3 + VT82C586B chipset
No name Voodoo Banshee 16MB AGP card
Avance Logic ALS120 ISA sound card
U.S. Robotics OEM 56K WInmodem PCI
Realtek RTL8139 NIC
200W JNC AT power supply

It is running Windows 3.1, Windows 98SE and Mandrake Linux 9.0 on it.
About video card: I am going to change it. What is better for this configuration? A Sparkle NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 32MB AGP or the No Name VooDoo Banshee 16MB?

Reply 1 of 10, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The banshee feels like a good fit generally? The K6-2 333 was a mid-range setup from mid '98, as was the Banshee. And it was an era where Glide had a strong foothold.

Depends really what your aiming for with it, the TNT2 M64 was a later (late 99) budget card and doesnt feel like a better fit

For maximum performance i guess a Voodoo2 (maybe even SLI'ed) for 3dfx stuff and a TNT would be a reasonable combo?

Reply 3 of 10, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A full TNT2 card would be quite a lot faster than a Banshee, though severely CPU limited by the K6-2 CPU at 333 MHz. But a TNT2 M64 is cripled by a narrow memory bus, which brings its performance down to pretty much on par with a first-gen TNT, which was also pretty much on par with a single Voodoo 2.

The Banshee has very similar specs to a Voodoo 2 or TNT, but it only has a single texture unit. This means it will run noticeably slower in games that make heavy use of multi-texturing. On the other hand it does run at a slightly higher clock speed to compensate for the single texture unit, which means it will typically outperform the V2 and TNT in single-textured games. And supposedly the 3dfx drivers had less CPU overhead and better K6-specific optimizations, which could give it a slight edge on your system.

So performance wise, a TNT2 M64 and the Banshee will be pretty even, especially on what will mostly be a CPU-limited configuration. For a K6-2 333 system I'd go with the Banshee for better compatibility.

Reply 4 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the price is equal or not an issue get the Banshee. Performancewise they are a wash but the Banshee supports Glide and that opens up completely different opportunities. A better choice than either would be a Voodoo 3 AGP.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 10, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroPC_King wrote:
Hello, I am making my first post on this forum. For the first time, I will present my Socket 7 system. Configuration: AMD K6-2 3 […]
Show full quote

Hello, I am making my first post on this forum. For the first time, I will present my Socket 7 system.
Configuration:
AMD K6-2 333MHz
128MB DIMM SDRAM
30GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 HDD
Sony CRX210E1 48x12x48x CD-RW drive
Panasonic 3.5 inch floppy drive
Lucky Tech P5MVP3 mainboard with VIA MVP3 + VT82C586B chipset
No name Voodoo Banshee 16MB AGP card
Avance Logic ALS120 ISA sound card
U.S. Robotics OEM 56K WInmodem PCI
Realtek RTL8139 NIC
200W JNC AT power supply

It is running Windows 3.1, Windows 98SE and Mandrake Linux 9.0 on it.
About video card: I am going to change it. What is better for this configuration? A Sparkle NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 32MB AGP or the No Name VooDoo Banshee 16MB?

I would definitely get a NEW hard-drive. A 72,000 rpm drive. Those maxtors are loud and notorious for bad sectors and read/write fails and SLOW.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_tr … e+7200&_sacat=0

The Riva TNT will give you better graphics but the Voodoo will allow you to play games made for Voodoo cards.
If you can install both I would.
Back in the 1990’s I choose the Riva TNT over the Banshee because of the better graphics.

Reply 7 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would definitely like to see a 72,000 RPM drive... That's basically about 6-7 times faster than airliner jet engines.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both have good VESA suppor, important for dos
Both perform about the same in D3D
Banshee offers you Glide
TNT2 offers 32 bit colour.

I'd pick Glide over 32bit colour, keeping in mind your CPU and I suspect the Banshee rivals the Voodoo for dos gaming (I've purchased a card to test this but haven't gotten round to testing yet)