VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I finally got around to testing my Geode NX1750 in my Shuttle XPC. This is basically the low-voltage version of the Athlon XP 1700+ that was already in there. Same Thoroughbred core, nearly the same clock speed (Geode: 10.5 x 133, Athlon: 11 x 133.) The Athlon runs at 1.65V and the Geode is supposed to run at 1.25V.

cpus.jpg
Filename
cpus.jpg
File size
548.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

^^ and yes, I intend to clean the crusty thermal paste off both chips. The Athlon I took out wasn't too bad, to be honest.

post.jpg
Filename
post.jpg
File size
215.16 KiB
Views
File license

It's known that not every unsupported board will POST with this chip. This one does, and it picked up the clock speed & the fact that it's a mobile variant fine.

bios.jpg
Filename
bios.jpg
File size
300.42 KiB
Views
File license

The only problem is it runs it at 1.4 volts. That's not too bad, but still 150mV above the 1.25 it's rated for. I even suspect the BIOS is detecting the voltage properly, but this is the lowest the board is able to deliver.

Note that there is no way to manually adjust the clocks or voltages in the BIOS. Automatic is all you get. Shuttle's XPC tool doesn't even offer the option on this machine.

hirens.jpg
Filename
hirens.jpg
File size
347.76 KiB
Views
File license

I booted Hiren's and ran CPU-Z & SIW to confirm this, and yes, it does appear to be running at 1.4V. Incidentally I was messing around in Mini-XP for a good part of an hour while I tried things out and had no issues.

cooler.jpg
Filename
cooler.jpg
File size
240.8 KiB
Views
File license

This little box actually has some serious cooling behind it. There's a lot of thermal mass in that CPU block, and the heat pipes do a good job sending it up to the radiator at the back. For all the time I was using the overvolted Geode, the big block remained cool to the touch & the fan didn't even start to spin up. The Athlon XP running at its properly-detected 1.65V runs significantly hotter, as you'd expect: the CPU block is noticeably warmer to the touch, and when the whole box is closed up it does pump hot air out the back. It's not an oven, but it's not laptop-cool either.

(Incidentally I'm intending to stick a small fan on that northbridge too.)

An interesting thing I found is the Geode is even rated to handle 1.35V (1.25+100mV) as "Maximum static voltage above VCC_CORE_NOM" and 1.4V for transient spikes. The absolute maximum death rating is Core+0.5V or 1.75V in this case, assuming I'm reading the datasheet right (see pages 48-50 if you're so inclined.)

So yeah, the board overvolts it, but by such a small amount it's even close to being within the rated tolerances, and this thing has a way better cooler than a lot of Socket A boards came with. The Geode was even designed for embedded appliances and stuff with completely passive cooling in mind.

What would you guys do? I really want the lessened heat output from the Geode, but I don't want to kill it from overvolting in a few weeks either. My gut instinct is it'd be fine - it's the same Thoroughbred core with a die shrink after all, but I have so little experience messing with voltages I thought I'd ask for advice.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 4, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At 1.4V that's still a nicely undervolted Thoroughbred. It's the same as its 1.65V counterpart, it just has different markings. And probably binned better so they decided it would handle the low voltage better. There's really nothing to worry about.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 2 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to use Setmul to adjust the multiplier on that Geode.

SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86

Pretty sure you can go down to a 3x multiplier.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 4, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With alvaro84. The Geode NX is just like any other Thoroughbred with the only exception that it is of higher quality (=best part of the wafer) so that it can run at very low voltages. Usually this also works the other way- it can run at high speeds at high voltages. Thoroughbred's can easily run at 1.75v or 1.8v and you can even get higher if your cooling is right. I ran my Athlon XP 1700+ at 1.85V+ for years without problems 😀. You won't fry or kill it at 1.4v or 1.65v but it will only output more heat.

If Setmul doesn't work you can try to dive into CPUMSR_0_90.zip . It won't work on recent CPU's (late 2003 or so) but mobile CPU's are an exception. Perhaps the Geode will qualify for this exception too.

Last edited by Thandor on 2020-12-14, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 4 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for putting me at ease, guys. The Geode is in with some fresh thermal paste and has been running great all day. I don't really notice the loss of performance going from 1466 -> 1400 MHz, but maybe the cooler temps will give me some headroom to overclock the GeForce3 😈, as soon as I sort out some ventilation so its fan isn't trying to draw air through a slab of metal.

cyclone3d wrote:

You should be able to use Setmul to adjust the multiplier on that Geode.

SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86

Pretty sure you can go down to a 3x multiplier.

Thandor wrote:

If Setmul doesn't work you can try to dive into CPUMSR_0_90.zip . It won't work on recent CPU's (late 2003 or so) but mobile CPU's are an exception. Perhaps the Geode will qualify for this exception too.

I was messing with Crystal CPUID last night which lets me change the multiplier freely, but only in the "official" range between 6.0-10.5 (no 11x like I wanted.) (It also can't set the voltage lower than 1.4V either, but it does detect it as a 1.25V chip.) I'll try SetMul & CPUMSR and see if they give a few more options.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!