VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
AMD Socket A aftermarket coolers had this "little metal shield plate" that is placed on top of CPU that lowers the pressure to processor so that it won't break.
- What is it called and is it needed also for basic aluminum heat sinks ?

I now have a AMD Duron 800Mhz and would like to know if the basic aluminum heat sink+fan is good enough for it ?
- Thinking about keeping it very cool and very low temperatures so that capacitors would not bulge and last for a long time. I had to scrap that Abit BF6 PIII because being unable to replace the exploded caps.
- I only need like 200-300Mhz playing 1995-1999 games: 486 Dos games, GTA 1, GTA2, Turok 2, MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, Earthsiege 2, Shattered steel, Midtown Madness 1 and such games.
- Using Voodoo 3 3000 AGP.

Back in early 2000 I owned and in the end kind of disliked the heavy 500g full copper Aerocool HT-101.
- It was in a more powerful 2400+(2000Mhz) Athlon XP.
- Hopefully Duron 800Mhz won't produce so much heat ?

Reply 1 of 7, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is usually called a shim or spacer:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Searc … sp?EdpNo=178125
http://www.speedy3d.com/reviews/coppershim/index.shtml

If you take care when installing the heatsink, it should not be needed. Depends on the pressure the clamp puts on the heatsink and CPU also, so it differs per heatsink. Make sure to put it on exactly parallel to the CPU 'die'.

Bulging caps are not caused by high temperatures, but by a manufacturing problem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

1982 to 2001

Reply 2 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never seen (or use) this before. I've played a lot with Socket A platform and never had problems with installing coolers or damage CPUs.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 7, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone remember which shim type is for which socket A processor ?
What fits AMD Duron Spitfire ?
In my luck Athlon XP-type propably does not fit.

Attachments

• 1233Untitled.jpg
    Filename
    1233Untitled.jpg
    File size
    99.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have one that is the wrong type, you can just trim it with a file or dremel tool to make it clear all the surface mounted components and contacts. That's what I have done in the past.

And the shims aren't to lower the pressure.. they are to keep the heatsink from tipping on the die so you don't crush an edge of the die.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the ones for Athlon XP are thinner because of a lower die-height. That should be fine though, it's the other way around that would cause problems.

As for cooling, any Socket A heatsink will be fine, even the small cheap aluminium ones.
You can lower the voltage a bit below 1.6v to make it run even cooler if you want. I had a 650Mhz running at 1.55v at one time.

A copper heatsink would be able to cool it with a low speed fan, would be a more quiet option if you had one laying around.