VOGONS

First post, by mopa6000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should I do that? I own a Toshiba Satellite P25 that originally came with a 3.0C, but I stupidly swapped it for a 3.4C, and now it's just overheating on every single CPU-intensive application.

My Satellite P25 does not have a lot of thermal headroom either, because it throttles immediately after it hits 83 C or 84 C. I think it is measuring the Tcase temperature? I doubt the actual Tjmax is that low...

Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate that, considering that this dilemma has been bugging me for the past few years. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 8, by mopa6000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply, but I am unfortunately unable to do that.

It's due to this oddball machine that doesn't have support for SpeedStep, since it utilizes the 865PE chipset. I don't think the 865PE and its BIOS even supports SpeedStep, but it does accept a Mobile Pentium 4. It runs it at the lowest multiplier possible (12x), though.

Reply 4 of 8, by mopa6000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, yes. I almost forgot about the thermal paste. I believe that I have applied Gelid GC Extreme on the CPU, but I don't have much of a clue if it is considered good.

Reply 5 of 8, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you see Speedstep in the BIOS but the mobile versions of the chip aren't recognised correctly, could adding the mobile microcode to the BIOS correct this?

Similar to this mod for running Xeon socket 771 chips in a socket 775 board
https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-xeon-microcode/

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 6 of 8, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The wiki article for the mobile chips suggests stepping up to 800mhz generates a lot of additional heat and as such the mobile chips run at 533. No idea if thats true (seems strange to me?), but if so, they do a 3.06ghz version of the normal P4 HT, which runs at 533mhz?

It seems to me that it would make more sense to run a slightly slower cooler running chip, than overheating and thermal throttling.

Reply 7 of 8, by mopa6000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't see SpeedStep in the BIOS, but the Mobile Pentium 4 that I have is recognized properly in the BIOS.

I doubt that is true, considering that the fastest mobile Northwood HT (SL77R) is rated with an ICC max of 67.4 A. The 2nd fastest desktop Northwood HT (SL6WE/SL6WG/SL792) is also rated with an identical ICC max value, which makes it rather skeptical.