VOGONS

First post, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello folks - I have been lurking here for a few weeks as I have recently decided to build the 'ultimate' form of my first all-new PC from late 2000 (though I may end up cheating as I got a little Buy It Now happy on ebay and ended up with 4 graphics cards, 2 CPUs, 2 sound cards, etc).

The parts all seem to be in good working order, I am trying to use the following for now:

Asus TUSL-2C socket370 motherboard (with the onboard sound disabled of course)
Pentium III S 1.13ghz (the fastest I could have purchased back in '00, though I'm cheating with a Tualatin 512kb version)
512mb PC133 SDRAM (256mb, 128mb, 128mb sticks)
Elsa Gloria III (Nvidia Quadro 2 Pro) graphics card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card (I know this is cheating, but the 2 ZS is not drastically different from the original... just better)
Intel 10/100/1000 NIC
Star Tech 7 port USB 2.0 card
Sil3114 4 port SATA RAID card (first problem)
Crucial 250gb SATA SSD
Asus SATA DVD RW
EVGA 550 B3 550w PSU (second problem)

The goal here is to set it up to dual boot Windows ME and Windows 2000, but I've been road blocked for the last 2 days and can't figure out how to pass these...

problem 1 is that the system will not boot at all with the EVGA PSU. It's brand new, works fine on other/newer machines - and it did boot this one once or twice but now when the 20-pin (I had to cut off the end 4 pins of the 24 pin connector since the motherboard has the old 20-pin plug) is connected the MB green standby light is on but pressing the power button only just barely bumps the fans but no booting up happens.

I tried using a spare EVGA 450w PSU and the behavior is the same. However, I happened to have an ancient (era appropriate) PSU laying around and that thing boots it up just fine every time, though it lacks any SATA power connectors so for now I'm using it to power the 20-pin ATX connector, and one of the EVGA PSU's to run everything else by jumping its ATX connector.
The only functional difference I've found is that the EVGA PSU's have an empty pin that is -5v on the old PSU, and that same -5v is noted in the Asus TUSL-2C manual. As far as I understand that was only used by ISA devices so I am not sure how or why that would affect the system booting (and as mentioned it HAS booted a few times from the EVGA PSUs, just very rarely). Is there a brand that would be more likely to work - or something I may need to do to get these EVGA units working properly with the board?

and on to problem 2 - the Sil3114 SATA RAID controller... I've read a number of threads here about updating the BIOS which I have done - to the base (non-raid) 550 version (latest on their website). However, the system won't even try to boot from anything in the optical drive and when trying to launch the Windows ME floppy boot disk installer nothing can detect a CD-ROM drive. I tried adding in that gcdrom.sys file (and its appropriate entries in the boot disk's config.sys), as well as an AHCI driver from HP) to no avail.

I've also tried using a VIA chipset SATA card and the behavior is identical. Looking at possibly trying a Sil3512 card if that might help, but this 3114 card supposedly supports ATAPI drives already so I'm not sure what is missing.

Do you guys have any suggestions on anything I'm overlooking or may want to try?

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 1 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those SIL cards are horrid as far as compatibility goes. So what if they support ATAPI drives.. if they don't work worth a crap, they are junk.

Even when those SIL controller chips were built onto the motherboards they were super iffy. Data corruption, slow speed, just not working, etc.

Same goes for the VIA add-in cards. I have had nothing but issues with them.

I tried a pretty good number of the SIL and Via based cards and they all exhibited similar issues on older systems.

The only add-in SATA cards that I can recommend for older systems are the Promise SATA 1 - 150 cards. They have been flawless. But they don't support ATAPI.

In any case, you might be able to get it to work by injecting the SIL BIOS into your motherboard BIOS and flashing the motherboard with the hacked BIOS.

See here:
Booting from a Sil3114

If you don't want to do that and you must use a SATA optical drive, then I would get a SATA drive to IDE adapter. They work just fine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-TO-PATA-IDE-Con … QK/223554578110

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ah thanks, I hadn't seen that post about injecting the SIl BIOS into the motherboard BIOS. I'll give that a shot tomorrow. This is certainly a much bigger project than I'd thought it would be heh!

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 3 of 12, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For newer systems, i've had a lot of luck with the enterprise/server type SAS controllers. LSI 2008 and similar.

SAS is backwards compatible with SATA (though i will add that i've not tried an optical drive on one), and being server grade the chipsets are rock solid.

Ofcourse these are PCI-e, but i would imagine PCI versions exist. A very quick google shows plenty of PCI-X cards, and i'm pretty much certain these are backwards compatible with normal PCI. I vaguely recall running a PCI-X SCSI card in a PCI slot many years ago.

For my own "late-2000" system ive stuck with IDE for the optical drive (i had a Pioneer slot loader back then, so had to get another), and used a IDE to SATA converter for the SSD. I might well consider a proper controller but need to do some performance tests on the converter first.

Edit: Heres an example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-435709-001-8-PO … rwAAOSwBRpcoeMG

Reply 4 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aragorn wrote:
For newer systems, i've had a lot of luck with the enterprise/server type SAS controllers. LSI 2008 and similar. […]
Show full quote

For newer systems, i've had a lot of luck with the enterprise/server type SAS controllers. LSI 2008 and similar.

SAS is backwards compatible with SATA (though i will add that i've not tried an optical drive on one), and being server grade the chipsets are rock solid.

Ofcourse these are PCI-e, but i would imagine PCI versions exist. A very quick google shows plenty of PCI-X cards, and i'm pretty much certain these are backwards compatible with normal PCI. I vaguely recall running a PCI-X SCSI card in a PCI slot many years ago.

For my own "late-2000" system ive stuck with IDE for the optical drive (i had a Pioneer slot loader back then, so had to get another), and used a IDE to SATA converter for the SSD. I might well consider a proper controller but need to do some performance tests on the converter first.

thank you! I'm going to try this BIOS injection first but may give that a try as well.

More concerning at the moment is the power supply issue. I tried running only the 24 (20) pin ATX from the 450w unit to the motherboard, and everything else to the 550w unit but still it wouldn't post. I notice both of these EVGA PSUs have 20A on the 5v and 3v rails each, which just surprises me that they can't even reliably turn on. The old PSU I have laying around is a 400w V-Power unit with 23A on the 3.3v rail but a massive 40A on the 5v rail. It boots the system just fine every time but I don't trust it at all being so old.

Reply 5 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I seem to have solved the PSU issue by going with a Corsair 650w with 25A on the 5v rail.

As far as the Sil3114 SATA controller... no progress. I added its BIOS as a PCI ROM in the TUSL-2C BIOS and flashed that but nothing is different. I'm not sure how the guy in that linked thread 'disabled' the Sil BIOS but I see no option to do that... I can either flash it with the RAID bios or the 'base' BIOS (non-raid). Neither has any effect on the lack of ability to boot to a connected device.

Has anyone with one of these boards successfully managed to boot to anything on any PCI card?

Reply 7 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aragorn wrote:

Does the BIOS have an option to boot from "SCSI"?

Yes the "other boot device" options are :
Disabled, scsi boot device, int18 device (network), intel(R) boot agent GE v1.2.22

Neither the scsi or int18 options will boot from anything connected to the Sil3114 card. I see it list the attached devices after the primary system bios but no dice.

At this point I'm wondering if perhaps I just need a different type of card to be able to actually boot from something not directly mb connected.

Reply 8 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

picked up another card with the same controller and no change. This new card is a Vantec Sata II 150, but as the controller is the same I can't be too surprised by the lack of ability to boot.

Reflashed motherboard bios this time to the 1012 secret BIOS, and tried both the non-raid and raid 5500 version BIOSes on the card.

With either raid or normal Sil3114 BIOS, both connected devices show up on the BIOS bootup screen (DVD-ROM and SSD), but neither are bootable. I tried creating a concatenated RAID array with the SSD but that also is not bootable.

If I use an IDE CD-ROM to boot Windows 2000's installer and then load the driver, it can see the SSD and install to it but once the system reboots to begin setup, it can't boot to the SSD at all to actually go through with it.

At this point I see 2 solutions:
1) give up and use SATA to IDE adapters (which would make installing Windows ME or 98SE easier as I can't seem to find any way to load a SCSI/RAID driver in their install process)
2) Move on to SAS controllers like an LSI or Adaptec (though it appears the Adaptec cards are using 2 of this same Sil3114 chip so maybe not that one)

Something just seems off though - the motherboard has the capacity to boot from addon PCI cards, and this RAID controller *should* be able to be booted from connected devices (additionally it claims to support single device mode for connected devices) so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Reply 9 of 12, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Aragorn wrote:
For newer systems, i've had a lot of luck with the enterprise/server type SAS controllers. LSI 2008 and similar. SAS is backward […]
Show full quote

Please don't give people hope without actual knowledge.
SAS3080X-HP this exact or same card, i have 2 spare to play with few months ago. Cards not compatible with conventional PCI without making a hole by dremel and isolating some contacts with electrical tape. And after that you not guarantied that mobo accept the card.
P3B-F you cam turn it on, play with reflashing firmware and setting it up with DOS utilities, but BIOS doesn't accept it as a bootable.
A8N32-SLI Deluxe, board doesn't power on with inserted card.

And you need drivers, earliest version of Windows is XP/2003. SCSI or SAS in DOS have mediocre performance compared to PATA/SATA if you consider drives produced after 1996.

Only viable and trouble free enterprise solution for such mobos - SCSI, probably Adaptec cards like 2940/29160 the best in terms of compatibility with either hardware or OS. Working OOB in DOS/W9x even without drivers, have support or OOB till W7, bootable on Socket7 through latest chipsets like X58.

Reply 10 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_UV_ wrote:
Please don't give people hope without actual knowledge. SAS3080X-HP this exact or same card, i have 2 spare to play with few mon […]
Show full quote
Aragorn wrote:
For newer systems, i've had a lot of luck with the enterprise/server type SAS controllers. LSI 2008 and similar. SAS is backward […]
Show full quote

Please don't give people hope without actual knowledge.
SAS3080X-HP this exact or same card, i have 2 spare to play with few months ago. Cards not compatible with conventional PCI without making a hole by dremel and isolating some contacts with electrical tape. And after that you not guarantied that mobo accept the card.
P3B-F you cam turn it on, play with reflashing firmware and setting it up with DOS utilities, but BIOS doesn't accept it as a bootable.
A8N32-SLI Deluxe, board doesn't power on with inserted card.

And you need drivers, earliest version of Windows is XP/2003. SCSI or SAS in DOS have mediocre performance compared to PATA/SATA if you consider drives produced after 1996.

Only viable and trouble free enterprise solution for such mobos - SCSI, probably Adaptec cards like 2940/29160 the best in terms of compatibility with either hardware or OS. Working OOB in DOS/W9x even without drivers, have support or OOB till W7, bootable on Socket7 through latest chipsets like X58.

I managed to get everything working with the Vantech branded Sil3114 card, flashed with the non-RAID BIOS and using a SATA to IDE adapter on the DVD-RW drive. Just out of morbid curiosity I flashed the exact same BIOS to my first Sil3114 card and it still won't boot to the connected SSD. Apparently they are not all created equally 😀

As far as my goal of full SATA drives though - I have new idea that I'm going to try after spending hours and hours searching through specs of PCI-X SATA and SAS RAID controllers. I found that the Adaptec 1220SA SATA RAID card (PCI-E 1x interface) has a Win2k driver. The hope here is that it will function correctly in a PCI-E 1x to PCI adapter, and it specifically supports booting to connected SATA optical drives. I'll be sure to post back if I'm able to get this working.

on a PSU note - this cheapy Corsair CX650M has been working like a champ, and I'm actually not sure now why the two EVGA PSUs won't (at least reliably) boot the system. They both have 20A each on the +3.3v and +5v rails, where this Corsair does have 25 on each but I don't think the system should be even exceeding 20 on either (and the few times I got it to actually boot up with the EVGA PSU's it didn't shut off or anything - ran fine for hours as long as i didn't turn it off). However, just to be on the safe side I have a 1200w refurb Corsair coming with 30A each on both of those rails and was not much more than this 650w cost new (returning it to Best Buy ASAP before my return window ends).

Reply 11 of 12, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kalm_traveler wrote:

As far as my goal of full SATA drives though - I have new idea that I'm going to try after spending hours and hours searching through specs of PCI-X SATA and SAS RAID controllers. I found that the Adaptec 1220SA SATA RAID card (PCI-E 1x interface) has a Win2k driver. The hope here is that it will function correctly in a PCI-E 1x to PCI adapter, and it specifically supports booting to connected SATA optical drives. I'll be sure to post back if I'm able to get this working.

Unless you already have the card and adapter, I'd go with the previous advice of the older SATA1 Promise controller. Total PCI bandwidth is 133MB/s vs SATA1's 150MB/s meaning you're not likely to get much more performance unless you're looking for better access times and/or better mixed read/write performance in RAID 0 or RAID 10.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 12 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BushLin wrote:
kalm_traveler wrote:

Unless you already have the card and adapter, I'd go with the previous advice of the older SATA1 Promise controller. Total PCI bandwidth is 133MB/s vs SATA1's 150MB/s meaning you're not likely to get much more performance unless you're looking for better access times and/or better mixed read/write performance in RAID 0 or RAID 10.

Adapter yes, just bought a card brand new for $15 shipped to try it out.

I'm not so much after performance - at this point just want to see if I can run this thing completely without IDE.