VOGONS

First post, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I have purchased Tyan S1854 board, revision E. Accoring to this page it should support Pentium III 866EB in Socket 370 package. I have three pieces of this CPU type and none of it works, the computer won't boot up. I have tried to use Celeron Medoncino 533 MHz (Socket 370) and Pentium III 533 MHz (Slot 1) and both work fine. Do anyone of you have enough experience with this board to know what could be wrong? What could I do to try fix it? Thanks.

tyan400a.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was one tempremental board...

That P3-533, is that a Katmai P3-533B (512kB L2) or Coppermine P3-533EB (256kB L2) 533?

In any event I was able to run it fine with a P3-1000EB So370 and via MS-6905 Master Slocket. Most of my issues with the board related to BIOS and ESCD. Did you try a CMOS clear *and* an ESCD reset (disconnect mains power, hold power button for >10 sec) after installing the P3-866EB? If not, that would be where to start.

Reply 3 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paar wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I will try to do what you suggest. By the way the PIII that works is 533EB.

That's useful, that means that whatever the problem is, it's not a Coppermine voltage issue.

If the CMOS and ESCD resets don't work out, it could be a CPU stepping issue. Possibly the P3-866EB is a late stepping (C0) and the current BIOS doens't know what to do with it. A BIOS upgrade might help in that case.

Reply 4 of 10, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Success! I have followed your advice and did CMOS and ESCD reset. One more thing I did was that I used a heatsink with fan while powering the computer up. I don't know what helped but it is working now and I'm super happy. Is it possible for Coppermine CPU to get overheated right on POST screen with no cooler attached?

One interesting observation. I have two 866EBs from year 2000 that operate on 1.7V. Both work fine. The one that doesn't is from 2001 that operates on 1.75V. The CPU looks undamaged so I wonder if the small voltage spec difference can make it incompatible?

Last edited by Paar on 2019-06-18, 20:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paar wrote:

Is it possible for Coppermine CPU to get overheated right on POST screen with no cooler attached?

Not just possible, that's inevitable. Don't run Pentium IIIs without heatsink, you could damage them! 😵

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 6 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm surprised that you didn't kill those CPUs instantly by not having a cooler on them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paar wrote:

One interesting observation. I have two 866EBs from year 2000 that operate on 1.7V. Both work fine. The one that doesn't is from 2001 that operates on 1.75V. The CPU looks undamaged so I wonder if the small voltage spec difference can make it incompatible?

The earlier versions of that cpu: SL49H, SL4MD, SL43J and SL4CB have BIOS identification code 0686h.
The last two versions: SL4ZJ and SL5DX have BIOS identification code 068Ah.
You may need to update your BIOS before the last two versions are recognized.

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL4ZJ.html

Reply 8 of 10, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I'm surprised that you didn't kill those CPUs instantly by not having a cooler on them.

On old systems I usually just put the CPU in to see if the computer will boot up just to shut it down right afterwards. I had no idea PIII CPUs are so sensitive. It helped just to place a heatsink on top of it without applying any thermal paste. I'll surely remember that next time I will be testing something.

PARKE wrote:

The earlier versions of that cpu: SL49H, SL4MD, SL43J and SL4CB have BIOS identification code 0686h.
The last two versions: SL4ZJ and SL5DX have BIOS identification code 068Ah.
You may need to update your BIOS before the last two versions are recognized.

I already have the newest version of the BIOS and the CPU still doesn't work. The question is if I have fried it (unlikely as I didn't fry the other ones) or the BIOS just doesn't support. I have checked and the BIOS version 1.07 (which is the newest I could find) has been released at the end of year 2000. That probably explains why the board doesn't support the CPU.

Reply 9 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paar wrote:

[...]

On old systems I usually just put the CPU in to see if the computer will boot up just to shut it down right afterwards. I had no idea PIII CPUs are so sensitive. It helped just to place a heatsink on top of it without applying any thermal paste. I'll surely remember that next time I will be testing something.

Modern CPUs have sophisticated thermal regulation. Older ones don't. Back in the 486/Pentium days that didn't matter too much, but by P3-era it became critical. The P3 Coppermine has in internal thermal diode that registers temperature and shuts the CPU down if it gets too hot, but it's designed for slow increases in temperature that you get with heatsink but say too much dirt or other insufficient airflow. It's quite specifically not designed to cope with no heatsink at all.

Note that a P3 *may* survive this, an Athlon Thunderbird wil most definitely not give you a second chance:

https://youtu.be/UoXRHexGIok