VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Normally I can dig up this sort of info quickly myself, but either I'm blundering about here or it's really hard to find...

I have a Powerleap PL-Pro/MMX Plus Ver4.0 socket upgrade adapter, designed to put anything up to a K6-2 on old single-voltage So5/7 boards. Great stuff, but only if you can figure out how to set it up. Searching for settings, two things keep cropping up:
- PL-Pro/MMX (non-Plus) Ver6.0. 8-way dipswitch on top of the adapter (under the CPU) - this is the only one in any of the archived versions of the Powerleap website.
- PL-Pro/MMX Plus (unclear which version, not 4.0 in any event). This one has two jumper blocks next to the CPU, so you can tweak without taking the whole assembly to bits.

Nice, but not what I have. This Ver4.0 has a 10-way dipswitch under the adapter (facing the original socket). I can't find any documentation on what these do... (well, obviously multiplier and voltage, but which does which is the question).

Here's a pic of the offending adapter:
full.jpg

Anyone have a link to documentation or other suggestions?

Reply 2 of 5, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this should be it. Not official though, but it looks the same on the thumbnail pictures and is described as a 4.0:
http://sandy.blue.coocan.jp/Interposer/pl_mmx … us%20Ver.%204.0

This page shows the setting for an Intel MMX (assuming the settings on the photos are correct):
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/powerl … ntel-1832735920

EDIT: typed to slow, got beaten to it by PARKE

1982 to 2001

Reply 3 of 5, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We both got beaten by user Vetz anno 2013 😉

New Gaming Rig, need advice.
[quote]
Postby vetz » 2013-5-18 @ 11:04

Pingaloka wrote:
Vetz: These dip switches found in the Powerleap Adaptor
Do they have to be the same in the Socket 7 motherboard?

No. The adapter will override the motherboard. The only thing you have to set on the motherboard is the FSB. I am pretty sure you can set it to 6x multiplier by setting the first three DIP switches to ON - OFF - OFF (that is how it is with all other Powerleap adapters with 10 DIP switches)
DIPS 4,5,6,7,8 controls the voltage
DIP 9 is Pin AL-1 Compatibility
DIP 10 is CPU overheat protection set ON to enable.

Reply 5 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote:

We both got beaten by user Vetz anno 2013 😉

New Gaming Rig, need advice.

Postby vetz » 2013-5-18 @ 11:04 […]
Show full quote

Postby vetz » 2013-5-18 @ 11:04

Pingaloka wrote:
Vetz: These dip switches found in the Powerleap Adaptor
Do they have to be the same in the Socket 7 motherboard?

No. The adapter will override the motherboard. The only thing you have to set on the motherboard is the FSB. I am pretty sure you can set it to 6x multiplier by setting the first three DIP switches to ON - OFF - OFF (that is how it is with all other Powerleap adapters with 10 DIP switches)
DIPS 4,5,6,7,8 controls the voltage
DIP 9 is Pin AL-1 Compatibility
DIP 10 is CPU overheat protection set ON to enable.

Wow - thanks all of you.

The interesting bit here is that that means that the settings for the PL-Pro/MMX Plus Ver4.0 are identical to the PL-Pro/MMX Ver6.0 except for the last two pins.

Also it appears that it was marketed as "PL-K6-III", which explains why I wasn't able to find anything on Plus Ver4.0. Hopefully with all those terms out in the open here next searcher will have an easier time.