VOGONS

First post, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I have an atx case which was popular in 2001/2.

Pls help in identifying good parts fitting these years.

motherboard? which of these?

ecs k7vza
epox 8rda+
epox 8kta3l+
epox 8npa7i
mercury kt266
biostar u8768
msi ms-6712
via p4pb266e

cdrom/dvdrom/or dvdrw? i have no idea what was standard these days - looking at my set of cd/dvd drives i guess the following should be added:
samsung cd/rw - sw 240
samsung dvd rom - sd 616

hdd - ide:
- I have a seagate 20gb which is dated 2001, so it is ok i think

what gfx card / memory size, brand was available in 2001/2?

radeon9550
radeon9200
radeon7200
radeon9200 r92le-c3s
nvidia tnt2

sound card:

is sb live a good choice?

Reply 1 of 7, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wikipedia is your friend here.

There are various lists, which usually have dates, so you can figure out what was current in a particular time frame:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VIA_chipsets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_microprocessors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_gra … rocessing_units

etc etc, i wont list them all i'm sure you can operate the website yourself. You can find out what chipsets your motherboards have using Google and cross reference their release dates on WP

XP was released in 2001, so its a decent option. I would install the latest service pack and the "pro" version personally.

For hard drives, i would suggest a modern SSD. My own Y2K PC has a 64GB Crucial M4 in it, with a SATA to IDE adaptor.

DVD was certainly around in 2001, dont think you'd have got a recorder then though.

Reply 3 of 7, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you want to play some games on that PC? Or just build a 2001/2002 PC? From the components that you've listed it seems that you don't care about much, except "period correct", all videocards that you've described are low end (read garbage), except 9550, which is a budget mid tier card, but it was launched in 2004. TNT2 is a 1999 card, M64 version (which I assume is the version you have) was produced later, but it's also a junk card.

I'd recommend:
Motherboard: something with KT266A chipset, if you can Abit, Asus, MSI, etc. Try to avoid PC Chips, Matsonic. They aren't rare, you should be able to find one, also they should be cheap.
CPU: Athlon XP (2000+ or something close). Inexpensive and easy to find.
RAM: 2x256 MB if you go with Windows 98, 3x512 MB if you go with Windows 2000 (or XP).
Videocard: Geforce3 Ti500 or Geforce4 Ti4600 (both are getting rare and quite expensive). If you want something cheaper and easier to find (Ti200 or Ti4200).

Reply 4 of 7, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

in 02 I built an Athlon pc with the epox 8kha+, athlon XP 1800+, maybe 256mb ram, using my gf2 mx200 I got in 2001, with an 8gb (I think) hdd. onboard sound was a cost saver so I just used that. a few months later I had enough cash from my first job to upgrade to a 20gb hdd and a sony CD-RW drive.

i played half life, max payne, quake 3, unreal tournament, soldier of fortune 2 on XP corporate edition (the FCKGW cd key)

maybe this helps!

edit: I would use the SB Live for the 3D audio capabilities.

Reply 5 of 7, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

THank you guys for hints.

Yes - I want to build a pc which was a standard these years. I admit I do not plan to buy special hw here, just reuse what I have already.

ECS is a budget mb, which was flooding the market I believe. Maybe this will be a good choice (KT133A chipset).

SB live was a hit these days, so will put it

GFX card is something I dont know yet what is good choice from these I listed.

Reply 6 of 7, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replace the capacitors if you plan on using the K7VZA. I had one die because of them.
The other one I have now is working fine, replaced all capacitors, flashed a Chaintech BIOS on it and life's good.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 7 of 7, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retropol wrote:

ECS is a budget mb, which was flooding the market I believe. Maybe this will be a good choice (KT133A chipset).

KT133A is a nice chipset, but it's limited by SDRAM. You could go with it anyway.

retropol wrote:

GFX card is something I dont know yet what is good choice from these I listed.

If you must chose from that list, go with Radeon 7200. It's a bit older, but it's a nice, solid card.

Everything else is junk (probably all are using 64 bit memory, except 9550, but that's newer than 2002).

And SB Live is indeed a good soundcard, keep it.