VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I examined my old socket 7 motherboard earlier and noticed it had 1 slightly bulging capacitor.
I've never recapped anything before, and thought this would be a good way to learn/practice (since I have a replacement socket 7 motherboard).

But where online can I buy new capacitors for older system boards?
(I'm in the US, btw).
I've heard people mention "Digikey" and "Mouser", and I've seen YouTube project videos where people went to Fry's electronics to get parts, but I don't know how reliable these places are or if they'd have capacitors for older systems.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good, reliable sources for electronic components such as capacitors?

Reply 1 of 3, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Digikey and Mouser are reliable sources of capacitors

I normally get mine from RS Components though, and that is also a very reliable source of capacitor components.

Places like Fry's (like jaycar and altronics here in australia) would be a last resort deal for getting capacitors for me, as you typically cannot get the best quality capacitors from those stores. However, you won't be getting really dodgy fakes from places like Fry's either.

Reply 2 of 3, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:

Digikey and Mouser are reliable sources of capacitors

I normally get mine from RS Components though, and that is also a very reliable source of capacitor components.

Places like Fry's (like jaycar and altronics here in australia) would be a last resort deal for getting capacitors for me, as you typically cannot get the best quality capacitors from those stores. However, you won't be getting really dodgy fakes from places like Fry's either.

Thanks for the info. I'll DuckDuckGo Digikey and Mouser's websites and see about ordering my parts from them, then.

Reply 3 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Newark / Element 14 is excellent as well. Ideally go with someone who has a distribution warehouse in your country / economic area.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder