VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just did a fresh install of win98se on a new build and noticed a ram drive "D" was created during the process. Never noticed this before, will
this cause problems with anything with the CD drive being "E"? Do DOS games have a problem with this?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some really obscure software might but My CD hasn't been on d:\ for years and haven't run into any problems.

On the other hand if you change the CD drive from E:\ to something else after installing games they will complain as they keep a record of which drive they were installed from.

Reply 3 of 6, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, hehe. During a Windows 9x install, it assumes that whatever hard drive partition you installed Windows to will be, by default, C:. And whatever optical media drive you installed from would naturally be D:. It sets up the Windows registry with these values. That's why EVERY SINGLE TIME you have to install a new driver, it asks to see the Windows installation CD-ROM and always ONLY checks whatever drive is D:. It specifically looks for D:\Win9x folder.

Knowing this, I did this for my older retro systems. For my Windows 95 system, I used a 20.4GB hard drive, so I made a 19GB C: partition and a 1.4GB D: partition, having changed the drive letter of my CD-ROM to R:. Then I copied my \Win95 directory from my install CD to the D: drive directly. Now, I never have to deal with that annoying "put your installation disc in the drive" crap, as the folder D:\Win95 is ALWAYS available.
For my Windows 98se gaming rig, I used a 40GB HDD, so I made a 32GB C: and an 8GB D:. Same thing, I copied \Win98 to the drive and it works the same way. I also created a folder for all the video files for Final Fantasy 7 on that D: and changed the drive letter in the system registry for that game, so the game doesn't pause every time it needs to run a movie file to wait for the CD-ROM to spin back up (the original PlayStation never stopped spinning its CD-ROM drive so it was a much smoother experience during gameplay), as well as to address that a few video files were corrupt on my first CD-ROM, but were fine on later discs, so consolidating all video files to the same folder on my HDD resolved that issue.

Anyway, if you do what I did with a D: partition and copying the CD-ROM source files over, do yourself a favor and mark that directory as Read-Only. Wouldn't want some time-travelling fruit-cake trying to alter those files so that you corrupt your installation the next time you install a driver, would we? Or heaven help us, corrupting files due to aging HDDs and failing bad sectors.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some dos games running from windows are looking for cd drive "D" when that's actually the ram drive. Some questions for those that might know:

1. Can I "re-label" the ram drive another letter and do the same for the CD drive?
2. Am I looking at re-installing windows to rid of the ram drive and if so how do I keep it from being created again? This didn't happen
on my other Win98 rig.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 5 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Win98 don't create of course any ramdrives by default. Either your copy isn't exactly untouched or this is caused by something else. In any case you should be able to remove the extra drive, but if it comes with your windows copy I would ditch that and the installation.

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote:

Win98 don't create of course any ramdrives by default.

Exactly!
Safest bet would be
1) Create a boot with CD support, oem one form here is a good place to start. http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
2) boot off that
3) format c: /s
4) Copy the Win98 folder off the CD onto c:\ somewhere
5) Reboot off the HDD, you shouldn't have Anything loaded, CD or ram drives.
6) Install windows from wherever you copied it in step 4

This will ensure you have a blank system so windows wont have any existing configuration to mess things up.
If you still get a ramdrive then as knoc said your install has been tampered with