VOGONS

First post, by manczyslaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone i cant manage to install any system on my ast resarch premium exec laptop. When i try to install dos 5.0 ast oem then it has an error when writing command.com to hard drive, i am 100% sure disk is written fine. May it be that it needs backup battery? has anyone a clue where i suppose to place a battery and with type of? There is two pin slot but i dont know if its for a backup battery(it should because its near the bios rom).
May it be related to ram? What kind of ram is it?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If an error occured during read or write operation to hard drive, most likely it has unmarked bad sectors, to which system tries to write. Repartition hard drive (make sure that it doesn't contain diagnostic system) or just run scandisk in through mode, it will scan HDD's surface and mark any bad sectors.

Reply 2 of 4, by manczyslaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The thing is, it boots just fine on other laptops but not on this one, and every time gives command.com error (it recognises the system and gives drive read error, was in german becouse i wanted to see if its can read german dos at all) its not the first time i am dealing with this, also on my 486 amd desktop it was the same problem not reading command.com from floppy or hard drive. I am afraid it may be corrupted bios memory, sometimes the laptop won't turn on, maybe its ram. I dont have such knowledge to know how to start but i will format it again with dos 5.0 boot disk tommorow. Besides i bought isa controller at the flee market do you think the 486 amd will boot from isa card? I dont know how a isa ide controller works, i dix google it but could'nt find an ansfer.

Reply 3 of 4, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, interesting, in such circumstances the inability to boot into OS is usually caused by a unstable system in general. For example, a off spec system bus (on which is present HDD controller) could cause data corruption in files which already exists on HDD. It would also result in storage media's inability to properly access or store files.

I gues on both laptop and desktop PCs you are getting a "bad or missing command Interpreter" error?

manczyslaw wrote:

Besides i bought isa controller at the flee market do you think the 486 amd will boot from isa card? I dont know how a isa ide controller works, i dix google it but could'nt find an ansfer.

That's an easy task, everyone will be to help you with that here 😉, but first make sure that HDD content on desktop PC is not corrupted and system is set as stable as possible.

Reply 4 of 4, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would advise you to try to check your HD with a program like MHDD, in the past it has solved problems for me, with installations that failed.
If it finds errors that can be corrected, it should solve them, then anyway it depends on the condition of the disk, if it has too many bad sectors it obviously doesn't work miracles.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB