VOGONS

First post, by tomdearden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm in the middle of putting together a 386 system from parts and have sourced a lovely old French desktop-style case that came from a 286 but fits my motherboard etc. beautifully. However, it has a keylock on the front which was left in the 'locked' position and I wasn't lucky enough to get the key when I bought it. I'm wondering whether anyone knows if it's possible to source replacement keys for these things? I don't think the mechanism is particularly high-security!

I can obviously leave the pins on the motherboard disconnected (with a bit of fiddling as the cable is the standard Power LED/keylock combination) and get rid of the POST lockout issue but it'd be nice to get even this little bit of functionality working properly and tidily.

Any suggestions gratefully received! I'm going to have a crack at turning the thing back round to the 'unlock' position with a hairpin but, as I say, if there is a way of getting hold of a key of the right kind that would ultimately be the perfect fix.

Reply 1 of 3, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Presumably you can unscrew the lock from the case then potentially either take it apart, replace it or use the numerical reference to get a key from the manufacturer.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 3, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any chance you could post a picture of the case? You got me curious with "French" and "286"... I wonder if it's actually one of my old cases that I sold not too long ago 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 3 of 3, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my experience around 80% of the clone keys are interchange-able (if only they have same diameter) or simply work with just a bit of convincing... So simply find such key anyway. I rarely find a case or HDD tray that doesn't work with the generic key I take from the set I got with my disk tray... so it's very likely it will work for you too.
It shouldn't be to hard to source a bunch of these keys - look for 6 mm Harper keys. Just stay away from the anti theft lock keys as they will not work (and are usually bigger diameter).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg