VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible to build an ISA or PCI cable to extend an ISA or PCI slot? That is, male edge card at one end to insert into one of the motherboard's ISA or PCI slots (depending on what kind of system you had, of course) and the other end would be a female ISA or PCI edge card slot into which ISA or PCI expansion cards could be inserted? Say you wanted to adapt one kind of motherboard into another kind of case.

The other thing I pondered, was if there's such a thing as a riser card for a generic ISA motherboard? I vaguely recall seeing such a beast in the early 90s when I was building custom systems. It would insert into one ISA slot and have 2 or 3 slots on the riser card. This usually meant blocking the motherboard's other ISA slots, of course, but allows for adapting a generic motherboard for a low-profile case by turning the slots 90 degrees.

Reply 1 of 2, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unsure about a cable. But the ISA bus is well documented so it is possible. Quite a while ago I aquired an Ollivetti slimline system. When I opened it it up it had a nice 486 VLB mobo, a waste really with a riser that had 5 ISA slots. Three on one side two on the other. Also had a very small form factor Amstrad system in had a riser with two ISA slots.

20190625_094256[1].jpg
Filename
20190625_094256[1].jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can buy pre-made PCI riser cables on eBay.

For ISA riser cables, it is a simple 1-1 cable so pretty easy to do as well.

You just need to come up with the male part... you could always use a sacrificial ISA card for the male part.

Or you can order some that somebody else already designed:
Short on ISA slots? Try this.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK