VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi to everyone, i have a Asrock 775vm800, it is ok for building a high end Pentium4 machine? In terms of cpu and graphic card? I not find information if i can install a cedar mil 3.6ghz cpu for example... tnks.

Reply 1 of 8, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to the CPU support list, yes, it supports your desired CPU.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/775VM800/#CPU
There are Win98 drivers on the site too.

I'd rather have an Intel Chipset over a VIA one but I've not personally used that board; if it's what you already have and it works well it'll still be overkill for DOS, 98 or NT4.

There are so many threads on GPUs and sound cards, have a search.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 3 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any 775 board should work with cedar mill.

I have a ASrock quad core dual vsta and I really hate the VIA controller. If that is the board you have it should work just fine in XP, but if you are buying a board, I thing the 965 chipsets, some of which have AGP, is a lot better.

You might also consider a good 775 board with PCIE. PCIE graphics cards are a lot cheaper and the performance is usually better. Something like a 6800gt PCIE would fit that build nicely.

Reply 4 of 8, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i alredy have this mainboard, i wanto to buy a correct time P4 high end (that means i think, no pciexpress). I not want to overclock or something, i think that a maninboard that can use a Top P4 is ok for a high end P4 gaming... or not? Forget something?

Reply 5 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote:

i alredy have this mainboard, i wanto to buy a correct time P4 high end (that means i think, no pciexpress). I not want to overclock or something, i think that a maninboard that can use a Top P4 is ok for a high end P4 gaming... or not? Forget something?

What exactly are you trying to do with this build? If the goal is the fastest possible p4 setup with period correct hardware, then you are looking at late XP stuff.

Cedar mill is early 2006. Contemporary parts are the X1xxx series from ATI (released 2005) and the 7 series from Nvidia (2005). The HD 2000 series from ATI was released 2007 and the 8800 series from Nvidia came out late 2006. Almost all of these cards were PCIE by this point, but there were some AGP cards still being made as well.

A high end 2006 build with Cedar Mill would probably be a 8800 ultra, 2gb+ of DDR 2 RAM, and a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer or Fatal1ty sound card.

The fastest AGP cards from this time period are very, very expensive. They would still be period correct, but it would probably be a lot cheaper to just buy a new board and a PCIE card instead.

The p4 era is really more circa 2004, something like a Prescott Extreme edition with 6800ultra is really more what people think of when talking about high end p4. That would be socket 478. Cedar Mill was a minute before core2 come out, with the latter being what better defined late XP IMO.

Reply 6 of 8, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand, probably my intent is to build a great (not high end if the GPU really costs too much) Pentium4 in the era in which it was the top and not just before the release of the cores. The only thing I want to take is to use P4 775 and not 478 because of the better production process. I think the pentium4 3.6 ghz is to be considered if not the top, almost. For the GPU I will look for something cheap but good.

However, my intent is to build a machine that can use all NON-DOS titles due to the absence of the ISA but all the windows titles up to the core come out.

Reply 7 of 8, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote:

I understand, probably my intent is to build a great (not high end if the GPU really costs too much) Pentium4 in the era in which it was the top and not just before the release of the cores. The only thing I want to take is to use P4 775 and not 478 because of the better production process. I think the pentium4 3.6 ghz is to be considered if not the top, almost. For the GPU I will look for something cheap but good.

However, my intent is to build a machine that can use all NON-DOS titles due to the absence of the ISA but all the windows titles up to the core come out.

From a compatibility and performance stand point there is nothing a p4 can do that a later era PC can't do and better.

But it sounds like you are looking for Pentium 4 build without the hassles, in which case I think you are right, an early 775 board with Cedar Mill and probably a 6800gt should fit the bill.

Reply 8 of 8, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I want to create a computer that can take the place of my k6-3 500 or pentium-3 500 when they don't have enough power. However I am not interested in the generation of games that require a core CPU, to be honest, even the latest games of the P4 era do not interest me, but I think the pentium4 I want to build is great for all games that are too heavy for K6 -3 500 until the early 2000s.