VOGONS

Voodoo 2 + Directx/D3D

Topic actions

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

I got a bit of a puzzler here. I recently rebuilt my system (upgraded the processor slightly), meaning i also had to reinstall everything, Win98se, drivers, everything. Now the problem i have encountered is for some unknown reason my Voodoo 2 doesn't seem to get picked up properly by anything that uses D3D. Its recognised fine under Directx diagnostics (and tested), and anything that uses Glide work no problem whatsoever. I have no idea what has caused this, i could've sworn it worked fine in the past. Anything that i had used to test D3D (ie VP 3 and GTA 2) have came back with an error message saying that a D3D supported device couldn't be found).

I have tried different Directx versions, different Voodoo2 drivers, i have even tried a different motherboard and different processors - the exact same results everytime! I am pretty much ready to give up on the Voodoo 2 and just buy a different less troublesome graphics card on ebay, but i thought i would ask here beforehand as a last ditch effort to see if i can get this going again. Anyone have any suggestions?! I am totally stumped here! 😖

Reply 1 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What video card are you using? I would have thought something as basic as GTA2 would have been happy with either the voodoo or the other card sot eh fact it doesn't like either makes me think its not the Voodoo at fault.

Assuming this is a Win98 PC? Which DirextX/Driver versions are you running now? I remember someone here had issues when trying to use a later driver with earlier version of Direct X

Reply 2 of 20, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

What video card are you using? I would have thought something as basic as GTA2 would have been happy with either the voodoo or the other card sot eh fact it doesn't like either makes me think its not the Voodoo at fault.

Assuming this is a Win98 PC? Which DirextX/Driver versions are you running now? I remember someone here had issues when trying to use a later driver with earlier version of Direct X

Hi

I assume you mean 2D card? Its one of those common Diamond S3 Trio64 cards 2mb. I have tried several drivers. The one i am using at the moment are the latest reference driver/V3.02.02, and i have Directx 8.2 installed. And yes, i am using Win98se.

Reply 3 of 20, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CU_AMiGA wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Hi

I assume you mean 2D card? Its one of those common Diamond S3 Trio64 cards 2mb. I have tried several drivers. The one i am using at the moment are the latest reference driver/V3.02.02, and i have Directx 8.2 installed. And yes, i am using Win98se.

Are you playing any games with that Voodoo that actually require you to have DirectX 8.0? If not, you could try just sticking with DX 6/7. The early 3Dfx cards, as far as I remember, only had hardware level support for DX6 features anyway and the latest drivers for Voodoo2 are merely DirectX 7-compatible.

Just a suggestion.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 4 of 20, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote:
CU_AMiGA wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Hi

Are you playing any games with that Voodoo that actually require you to have DirectX 8.0? If not, you could try just sticking with DX 6/7. The early 3Dfx cards, as far as I remember, only had hardware level support for DX6 features anyway and the latest drivers for Voodoo2 are merely DirectX 7-compatible.

Just a suggestion.

Virtual Pool 3 requires DX 7, and I think GTA 2 requires DX 8 to be installed. I should point out, the GTA 2 version I have isn't the retail CD one, its the full version that Rockstar made available for free back in the mid 2000's - the one that contains the full CD audio tracks.

Reply 6 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note that a lot of D3D failures for the Voodoo2 usually lie on the game not bothering with the secondary device since that was very much old hat by that point in time. Voodoo3s usually generally work where Voodoo2s don't because of this (before the usual D3D9 generation of games that really demand those PS2_0 caps minimum)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 20, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes it has definitely worked for me in the past with DX8. And yes, VP 3 is a game that requires a patch for it to work with a Voodoo 2. I'm trying to work out what the fault could be or what have I done wrong now that I didn't do before.

Reply 8 of 20, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CU_AMiGA wrote:

Yes it has definitely worked for me in the past with DX8. And yes, VP 3 is a game that requires a patch for it to work with a Voodoo 2. I'm trying to work out what the fault could be or what have I done wrong now that I didn't do before.

Classic Windows shenanigans. It could be something simple and stupid such as the order in which you installed the drivers.
For example, do you install the display drivers first and then update DirectX to version 7/8 (I believe 98SE ships with DX6) OR do you upgrade DirectX and then install the display drivers.

Do you use the Windows supplied driver for the S3 card, or do you install separate drivers?

Only way to find out if something goes awry is trial and error, although generally I believe it's better do upgrade the drivers after updating DirectX.

Motherboard drivers should come first.

Reply 9 of 20, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote:
Classic Windows shenanigans. It could be something simple and stupid such as the order in which you installed the drivers. For e […]
Show full quote
CU_AMiGA wrote:

Classic Windows shenanigans. It could be something simple and stupid such as the order in which you installed the drivers.
For example, do you install the display drivers first and then update DirectX to version 7/8 (I believe 98SE ships with DX6) OR do you upgrade DirectX and then install the display drivers.

Do you use the Windows supplied driver for the S3 card, or do you install separate drivers?

Only way to find out if something goes awry is trial and error, although generally I believe it's better do upgrade the drivers after updating DirectX.

Hi Thanks for the info. I use the Window supplied driver for the S3, i believe that is all need. I haven't installed any motherboard drivers as i didn't think i need to (correct me if i'm wrong though). Plus i haven't got any included - i may investigate this later though when i have another crack at it!

EDIT - Forgot to mention that the 2 motherboards i am using are a Shuttle Hot 569a, and a FIC VA-503+, and been using an AMD K6 2 and 2+/3+ cpus.

Reply 10 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the cards shows up with dxdiag.exe as a 2nd card and the tests also work then try 3dmark99 and see if you can select the voodoo2 there (800x600 max) and run the tests.

If that works your voodoo in direct3d is fine and some games might be causing the trouble.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 20, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

If the cards shows up with dxdiag.exe as a 2nd card and the tests also work then try 3dmark99 and see if you can select the voodoo2 there (800x600 max) and run the tests.

If that works your voodoo in direct3d is fine and some games might be causing the trouble.

Hi, thanks i will try this and see what i get!

On another note guys: Worse case scenario, if i can't get the Voodoo working with D3D, do you think it is a wise or silly move to ditch the S3 and stick an NVIDIA TNT2 M64 in instead and use that for 2D/D3D, and just use the Voodoo for Glide?! Any thoughts?! 😜

Reply 12 of 20, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what they tried to say was the game has to support voodoo 2, even if it isn't using the glide api. Meaning Final Fantasy 7 a good example of a game that supports voodoo2 but only supports rendering the game with the voodoo 2 card in directx. The FFVII configuration utility will detect the card then allow you to run direct x on the voodoo.

Other games unless the have sopport for voodoo 2 will not use glide or directx on the 2nd card and will just look at the 1st card. There is a list of games that support voodoo2 somwhere. voodoo2 only works with games in that list. Its not a problem with the card, you just don't understand.

PS GTA2 works just fine with directx 7 but you play the game with glide with a voodoo 2 so that whole point is irrelevant.

PS again, OP you know that you have to put the glide OVL file from the voodoo 2 driver a lot of times in a games folder manually for it to use the card atleast with glide. And you might even have to do this if you want to run the game with the card in lets say open GL or direct 3d if the game supports doing that or if you are using a driver that supports that. Mesa FX I think is a example of that. don't quote me becasue its been ahwile.

Reply 13 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CU_AMiGA wrote:

On another note guys: Worse case scenario, if i can't get the Voodoo working with D3D, do you think it is a wise or silly move to ditch the S3 and stick an NVIDIA TNT2 M64 in instead and use that for 2D/D3D, and just use the Voodoo for Glide?! Any thoughts?! 😜

Not silly at all, one of the main benefits of voodoo 2 over voodoo 3 is you can pair the V2 up with a nvidia card with better D3D support.
Might not fix your issue as my money is on software, but may end up being a better setup due to it

Reply 14 of 20, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:
what they tried to say was the game has to support voodoo 2, even if it isn't using the glide api. Meaning Final Fantasy 7 a go […]
Show full quote

what they tried to say was the game has to support voodoo 2, even if it isn't using the glide api. Meaning Final Fantasy 7 a good example of a game that supports voodoo2 but only supports rendering the game with the voodoo 2 card in directx. The FFVII configuration utility will detect the card then allow you to run direct x on the voodoo.

Other games unless the have sopport for voodoo 2 will not use glide or directx on the 2nd card and will just look at the 1st card. There is a list of games that support voodoo2 somwhere. voodoo2 only works with games in that list. Its not a problem with the card, you just don't understand.

PS GTA2 works just fine with directx 7 but you play the game with glide with a voodoo 2 so that whole point is irrelevant.

PS again, OP you know that you have to put the glide OVL file from the voodoo 2 driver a lot of times in a games folder manually for it to use the card atleast with glide. And you might even have to do this if you want to run the game with the card in lets say open GL or direct 3d if the game supports doing that or if you are using a driver that supports that. Mesa FX I think is a example of that. don't quote me becasue its been ahwile.

Virtual Pool 3 DOES support Voodoo 2 via D3D, but it required a patch:

https://web.archive.org/web/20011210073952/ht … /readme3095.txt

I have played VP3 with this patch in the past with no problems, and it looks a billion time better than in software mode. So there is clearly some sort of recognition problem. As for GTA 2, i am pretty sure it should work in Glide and D3D mode (it works fine for me in Glide mode as well). Remember, this isn't the retail/CD version i am talking about, but the free downloaded package that Rockstar made available on their site years ago. These are the 2 games i am testing with at the moment, i am pretty sure that all native Glide games will work fine.

Reply 15 of 20, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
CU_AMiGA wrote:

Not silly at all, one of the main benefits of voodoo 2 over voodoo 3 is you can pair the V2 up with a nvidia card with better D3D support.
Might not fix your issue as my money is on software, but may end up being a better setup due to it

Haha! I just thought i would mention that as i have wasted so much time on this trying to figure it out. Maybe even just ditch the Voodoo 2 and just go with the NVIDIA instead. I will have another crack at it though this weekend. Under DXDiag, the Voodoo 2 card shows up fine as the 2nd card (as well as it passing the tests ok). So i with download and try out that 3D test app that the poster above mentioned and see where i get with that.

Reply 16 of 20, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CU_AMiGA wrote:
leonardo wrote:
Classic Windows shenanigans. It could be something simple and stupid such as the order in which you installed the drivers. For e […]
Show full quote
CU_AMiGA wrote:

Hi Thanks for the info. I use the Window supplied driver for the S3, i believe that is all need. I haven't installed any motherboard drivers as i didn't think i need to (correct me if i'm wrong though). Plus i haven't got any included - i may investigate this later though when i have another crack at it!

EDIT - Forgot to mention that the 2 motherboards i am using are a Shuttle Hot 569a, and a FIC VA-503+, and been using an AMD K6 2 and 2+/3+ cpus.

Your Shuttle seems to be an Intel Chipset-based board, whereas the FIC is a VIA chipset board.

You want the infinst_enu.zip driver package for the Intel board and the Via3in1 package for the FIC board. Make sure you install those before you install anything else on your Windows 98 setup. Reboot between every driver install. After motherboard/chipset drivers, upgrade to DirectX 7 (or 😎 and then proceed to install video drivers for the S3 card and the Voodoo.

This is my advice. I had plenty of opportunities to botch up Win9x installs and re-do them so that's what I would do based on experience.

Reply 18 of 20, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No chipser drivers needed to get a voodoo working......

Dxdiag.exe is a good indicator that the card is just fine, especially when it also works in glide games. If 3dmark99 works fine when you select the voodoo2 then your v2 is in good shape, no worries, and working as it should.

But selecting the voodoo2 for direct3d is in some games not easy (as has been said). So I would surely pair it with another good 3d card and simply use that. The voodoo2 is best for glide anyway.
That is the reason I paired my v2 sli setup with a nice geforce2.

Never used it myself but with the tool ''3d control center'' (found here: http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/tools.htm ) you can easily switch between 3d accelerators in windows it seems..

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 19 of 20, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright guys, bit of an update here. Sorry for late reply, been busy with work and other stuff.

It appears the problem lies with the Virtual Pool 3 game, not sure why.

I tested again with the Voodoo 2, same problem again, so tested the Voodoo out with other stuff. Voodoo 2 works fine under Directx Diagnostics, that 3D Benchmark app linked above also detects it and works just fine with it. I also tried out a couple of games that use Directx rather than Glide (such as Tomb Raider 2), and they seem to work fine as well.

Next i tried that Nvidia TNT2 M64 card. After finally finding a Directx version to work with it i done some more tests. And you guessed it, VP3 doesn't see any D3D device. I double checked under Directx Diag, and this card works fine and passes all tests. Next i gave Unreal Tournament a spin on this card, and it works fine. I haven't tried that 3D Benchmark app on this card just yet, i will try that out later. I have a feeling it will work with this card though.

So the problem lies with the game (or maybe some Directx conflict), and not with any of the video cards i'm guessing?