VOGONS

First post, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've noticed recently with my 486 using a Microsoft Serial Mouse (pictured) that horizontal scrolling isn't smooth like vertical, it seems to jump or stutter and in lower resolution games it looks like it skips a pixel. I'm wondering if this is a hardware issue with the mouse or possibly the LCD monitor I'm using at the moment or just a driver issue. I'm using the mouse driver that comes with Phil's DOS start-up kit (CuteMouse) with the default settings.

__57.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try giving the rollers a clean.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 6, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tested the mouse on my Pentium II with Windows 98 and it won't recognise it. Serial ports are activated in BIOS and present in Windows, but no detection.

I also tried it in MS-DOS mode with the CuteMouse driver and it detects it as a mouse on COM1, but as a Mouse Systems Mode not Microsoft Mode. It also doesn't work in DOS mode.

Reply 4 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bit odd. They an older MS mouse driver and see what happens. I've had the odd mouse cutemouse didn't play nice with. It saying the the mouse is quite old from the early 90s, nice they are too. Have you taken the bottem off to see if anything has gone array?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 6, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a bad horizontal scrolling issue with a serial mouse the other day. Mice are very simple. Cleaning it didn't help. I opened it, got a wet cotton swab and carefully cleaned the infared wheels, sensors, emitters. Then I connected it and gave the rollers a good whirl with my finger.

Could be dust, could be the roller shaft just not moving smoothly in its cradle. But there's only so much that can go wrong.

Anyway, it works fine again.