Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys
I picked up three PCs at the car boot this morning including this one

QDI Advance 10T
Celeron 900MHz (068A/01)
CGA-76032DTVD Radeon 7000 AGP
SB16 ISA soundcard

A bit of googling did not find any drivers or manual for this.

Actually when I saw it I thought it was an old Socket 7 or similar as it has an ISA slot and I didn't think they were still present on Pentium III type machines. It is complete apart from the HDD is missing, and it seems to be working though some of the caps obviously want replacing as they are bulging.

Does anyone have a reputable link to the drivers for this motherboard? What happened to QDI did they go bust or get taken over or something? I used to buy directly from them in the 90s and built a lot of PCs using their motherboards.

Anyway this looks like it could make a good Win98 retro gaming machine. Would it run DOS games too, seeing as it has an ISA sound card fitted?

Also as an aside it has a PCI LAN card with an Eprom socket. Can I do anything fun with that socket?

Rich

Attachments

• 20190630_195557.jpg
    Filename
    20190630_195557.jpg
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20190630_195522.jpg
    Filename
    20190630_195522.jpg
    File size
    621.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20190630_195440.jpg
    Filename
    20190630_195440.jpg
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 6, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Warlord

by reputable I mean I normally download from the manufacturers site only as I worry about what malware I many download from some sites

Reply 4 of 6, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The QDI Advance 10T is a very good Tualatin motherboard. It's fast, reliable and uses quality capacitors (Rubycon). It's actually the motherboard that resides under the bonnet of my overclocked 1.4 Tualatin-S daily driver, XP runs great. As Warlord pointed out, you should pick the 4-in-1 4.43v as they are they are the ones that provide the fastest performance for your system. Although remember that overclocking via BIOS is very limited on this motherboard, so if you want to do it, you need to do it via software and pick the Cypress W311 as a PLL, since it seems to be the most compatible with that motherboard.

If you like to fiddle with your system to make it as fast as possible, you can also "hack" the chipset with a program called WPCREDIT in order to access the memory registers directly and enable 4-Way interleave in order to let your RAM run at 2-2-2-5 speed. With an A10T, a Tualatin-S, a SATA controller card hooked to an SSD or a 10.000RPM HDD, you get a very fast Windows 98 and XP machine. I'm posting this reply from my very Tualatin PC, which I'm happily using as my main system since two years... 😉

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 5 of 6, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
looking4awayout wrote:

The QDI Advance 10T is a very good Tualatin motherboard. It's fast, reliable and uses quality capacitors (Rubycon). It's actually the motherboard that resides under the bonnet of my overclocked 1.4 Tualatin-S daily driver, XP runs great. As Warlord pointed out, you should pick the 4-in-1 4.43v as they are they are the ones that provide the fastest performance for your system. Although remember that overclocking via BIOS is very limited on this motherboard, so if you want to do it, you need to do it via software and pick the Cypress W311 as a PLL, since it seems to be the most compatible with that motherboard.

If you like to fiddle with your system to make it as fast as possible, you can also "hack" the chipset with a program called WPCREDIT in order to access the memory registers directly and enable 4-Way interleave in order to let your RAM run at 2-2-2-5 speed. With an A10T, a Tualatin-S, a SATA controller card hooked to an SSD or a 10.000RPM HDD, you get a very fast Windows 98 and XP machine. I'm posting this reply from my very Tualatin PC, which I'm happily using as my main system since two years... 😉

Hey thanks for the info - and thanks to the advice here i should find the drivers I need. I think some of the capacitors looked rather iffy but will check them out properly under magnification at the workshop tomorrow. I picked this PC up cheap today, 8 euros at the flea market so probably a good buy, even though I thought it was a socket 7 😊

Rich

Reply 6 of 6, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the ROM socket on the NIC, it was for a PXE bootrom (wasn't exactly PXE but rather an ancestor of PXE so to speak, I don't specifically recall what it was named), it's not very useful that is, unless you wanna slap an XT-IDE BIOS (to bypass for exemple a BIOS hdd size limit), you could put it on a EEPROM then place the EEPROM onto the NIC's ROM socket...

So yeah.

The ISA sound card is always a plus if you want to run DOS games, it's not necessary but it is way better than most PCI Sound card's shitty OPL emulation (I'm looking at YOU Soundblaster 128 PCI!), some PCI soundcards have very good OPL emulation but they can be very iffy with DOS.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]