VOGONS

First post, by luizrcsprado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! My name is Luiz Ricardo. I am from Brazil. I have a TI486DLC/E-40BGA machine with a coprocessor ULSI Math. My super io isa ide is broken a fill days ago. And i have many work files and i not want lost this datas. The chips from my isa board is hot and sometimes the power source not turn on. So i really lost my isa ide board. I did not find these cards for a reasonable price and i not buy. And i use yet this pc for my work.
In Brazil, the tax is very high and buy by ebay is much expensive and i not can buy too.

is it possible to build a 16bit IDE IDE with ttl or cmos parts only(74xx or 40xx ci's)? I do not have many books or information on how this board works and i ask if is possible change anything in the xt-ide to work in 16bits modes.

I see the XT-IDE 8-Bit IDE Controller project (https://github.com/glitchwrks/xt_ide) and i ask if is possible to change anything in this project and make it work in 16bits.

Sorry about my English, it is not good.

I really wait a answer

Thank you Very much

Reply 1 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome.

Your English is fine. The time it takes to build a 16 bit ide board including prototyping, getting parts, test etc it probably isn't worth it. In saying that it could become a community project.

How big is the harddrive Luis?

Glitchs XT-IDE card or the one from Monotech in New Zealand https://monotech.fwscart.com/XT-IDE_Bootable_ … 4_19478732.aspx specifying the AT bios on 286s up, will do the job quite nicely and allow you to recover your data. I've got a Monotech and it runs quite spritely. Another option is get a generic Winbond multi i/o card with IDE hard drive support and use a eprom with XT-IDE bios on it fitted to a BootRom socket of a 16-bit network card. If you don't have any eproms or eprom burner I'm sure someone here would be able to help out. If you can't get hold of a network card or multi i/o card I'm sure some one in the Americas will have a stash in a box somewhere.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-07-01, 06:19. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A 16-bit ISA IDE controller may be as simple as an I/O address decoder + some tristate buffers.
Still, such controllers (usually in the form of IDE+FDC+LPT+GAME+COM "multi I/O" cards) are plentiful and cost pennies.
I have no idea how to find such stuff locally in Brazil, but there must be some way!

Edit:
https://computer-retro.de/Bilder/Multi-IO/Mic … -Controller.jpg
Really trivial, just a 74ALS245 + some PAL, but again, why bother?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 8, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'm not sure i understand... Surely if you need to recover important data, you'd be hooking the drive up to an IDE -> USB type converter and sticking it into a modern PC...

And if the goal is just to get the old thing running, then i cannot believe that simply buying an IDE controller costs more than even spinning up the PCB for a DIY version?!

Reply 4 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aragorn wrote:

...i cannot believe that simply buying an IDE controller costs more than even spinning up the PCB for a DIY version?!

In Germany ISA IDE/FDC cards cost about 5-15 euros... the postage to Brazil (16 euros with tracking) would be more costly...

I understand very well that very few sellers are willing to ship to Brazil: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Shippin … l/td-p/23548881

In February I sold some vintage stuff on ebay to Mexico... it laid at the Mexican customs office for FOUR months!!!

But ebay does know these issues and so it is no real problem: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/S … 63352?nobounce=

Whatever, I have no issues with helping you out. You can PM me.

Reply 5 of 8, by luizrcsprado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody! Thank you very much to answer-me.
I am very glad that you have answered me and i will answer everybody.

Caluser2000:

About the project time and etc., i think that, but i really think xt-ide just works in pc-xt 8 bits. i have no really idea works in pc-at. And performance, how is it?
Of course this machine is important to me, i work with it since my 17 years. I have some projects that work today and my files projects is in this machine. I did many vacuum tubes projects with it. And some projetcs is working yet today. And I have some old sources that stayed in this machine. A last day a old client and friend ask-me if i can update a old project and my files stayed in this pc. Today i have a moderm pc that not have a ide interface and this modern pc is a Atom330 with puppy linux in pendrive because the windows is slowly in it.

About this become a community project, i will happy if i can contribute with a any things. I have all the parts extract from old many pcb's to the XT-IDE 8-Bit IDE Controller project. But i don't know if works in my PC. I know to make pcb's DIY. I have a double-face pcb (25x15 cm), iron perchloride (used but is good), special ink to make pcb's and another things necessary to make a reasonable pcb. A first time i think is more easy.

My hard drive is 4.3GB

Grzyb:

I really don't know how works with details. If i assembly any thing without to know how this works maybe i have not success. Because my question. I study about digital electronic in my technical school and i now how works I/O address decoder and some tri-state buffers. But i not find information with details about how works a isa bus standard with details to build alone this.

Aragorn:

I know that IDE -> USB type converter can help me recover my data and i looking for this. But I could like this machine works again. I do not know how to pay taxes in Brazil. The Retardware sell this pcb's by 15 euros, and the postage more 16 euros.The tax is over the price of the product + postage, and 60% above the all value transaction more 18% ICMS from province. (tax on the movement of goods and services). The end value is = (15 + 16) * 1.60) * 1.18 = 58.53 euros and more 6 month in the laid customs office. My monthly salary is 460 euros. But the question is just not it. I have the parts to the XT-IDE 8-Bit IDE Controller project and the blank pcb and i do not need and can spend money on this right now. I just do not have the eeprom. And my memory burner is an old parallel port that I use with my 486: P. So I just want to know if it is possible to change anything to the xt-ide to works in 16bits, because I want to continue to use my machine. I work with this machine.

RetardWare
:

Oh! Four Months!? That is so fast! 😜 In Brazil I lost my order and had to pay even if I did not receive it.
Thank you for taking the time to help me. What you can say about my question?

Reply 6 of 8, by luizrcsprado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please, look this files.

I make a change in the xt-ide16bits above the original.

This maybe works?

Thank you Guys!

Luiz Ricardo.

Attachments

• Filename
    XT-IDE.pdf
    File size
    166.04 KiB
    Downloads
    137 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    XT-IDE-16bits.pdf
    File size
    165.58 KiB
    Downloads
    261 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can probably eliminate some of the remaining logic that related to latching the upper byte on the 8-bit version. It's difficult to say without studying the circuit in depth.

But one thing that you definitely need for a 16-bit card is to assert /IOCS16 at the correct time to allow word access instead of bytes. Maybe this reference would be helpful: http://www.hardwarebook.info/ISA

Reply 8 of 8, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luizrcsprado wrote:
Please, look this files. […]
Show full quote

Please, look this files.

I make a change in the xt-ide16bits above the original.

This maybe works?

Thank you Guys!

Luiz Ricardo.

If you are willing to pay 16$ shipping I will send you 16 bit ISA IDE controller for free, although the shipping from Poland to Brazil will take a few weeks.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg