VOGONS

First post, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up this 1996 system a few days ago. To my surprise, it doesn't work at all. It won't boot. No video, no sound. Power "seems" normal but the fan in the power supply is broken (so if I were going the exhaustive route I would certainly part swap that).

And, yeah. Not really much else. This board (which I think is pretty cool) has an amazing failsafe system on it. There's only two jumpers on the board, the rest is a dip switch. The recovery mode prompts the floppy (which is bizarrely specified by Intel, even the case paint color is) to read for a BIOS file. Reset BIOS does nothing.

So in the failsafe mode it does seemingly boot. There's no video, but that is normal. Beeps. Does drive checks. I assembled what Intel calls a "bootable recovery disk." The system reads the files, beeps a few times, and this confirms the operation (BIOS loading) was successful. Then you are supposed to be able to boot normally and go about your business. This does not work.

Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 2, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Given what succeeded, try removing PCI/ISA cards which might not have been polled in the recovery process.
Any beep codes might be a clue also.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 2, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. You had a good idea. Removing stuff. After removing practically everything possible, I pulled out the L2 cache card and suddenly everything works like nothing happened. Put it back in - no boot. I put in another 256k L2 cache and it works normally. So I guess, either I somehow broke it (it was the first thing I touched - not sure why that would matter, I touch the hell out of the other one) or it was already malfunctioning.

It seemed a little inconsistent - I could get the "good cache" to act like the bad one, but I can't get the "bad cache" to ever boot.

I don't have another COAST machine that isn't buried in crap, so I'm marking the card for testing someday. Thanks!