VOGONS

First post, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there to all I am having terrible trouble locating drivers for 98se on the Panasonic Toughbook cf 28. I bought it for £5 from Gumtree and it has a 98se License Sticker on the Bottom so am Assuming they are Available?

Does anybody have Experience with these old Beauties?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it didn't come with 98se it came with windows 2000, but it can run 98se. If you need drivers you have to find them yourself. download the 2000 drivers and extract them once you know what the driver is for search the web for a 98 version,
Pro tip
it runs on a 810 or 815 mobile chipset uses infinst for the shipset and the gpu are just normal intel integrated graphics and there are drivers for this for 98se.
https://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/dl/search?q=&bu … oc=001002&lang=

https://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/itn/drivers/d_m … 2_en.html#CF-28

Reply 2 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:
it didn't come with 98se it came with windows 2000, but it can run 98se. If you need drivers you have to find them yourself. d […]
Show full quote

it didn't come with 98se it came with windows 2000, but it can run 98se. If you need drivers you have to find them yourself. download the 2000 drivers and extract them once you know what the driver is for search the web for a 98 version,
Pro tip
it runs on a 810 or 815 mobile chipset uses infinst for the shipset and the gpu are just normal intel integrated graphics and there are drivers for this for 98se.
https://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/dl/search?q=&bu … oc=001002&lang=

https://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/itn/drivers/d_m … 2_en.html#CF-28

Hi there buddy I have tried all these I Actually have the mk2 Variant and none of the drivers would install

Reply 4 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

glad you sorted it out, but of course they don't install because they are windows 2000 drivers. I never advised to install them. I tried to say open the driver files and examine the INF files and driver files to verify what hardware was being installed. Then go to Intels own website, driver guide or wherever and download a windows 98se driver.

For example. I would find the driver that says Network or NIC. Extract it, not run it becasue I know its a 2000 driver. Then I would open the INF and I would see its a 3com, intel, broadcom whatever it is and I would look and see what harwdware ID it is for. Once I know that much information then I can go find a driver for that specific hardware. That is how its done. 😘

Reply 5 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

glad you sorted it out, but of course they don't install because they are windows 2000 drivers. I never advised to install them. I tried to say open the driver files and examine the INF files and driver files to verify what hardware was being installed. Then go to Intels own website, driver guide or wherever and download a windows 98se driver.

For example. I would find the driver that says Network or NIC. Extract it, not run it becasue I know its a 2000 driver. Then I would open the INF and I would see its a 3com, intel, broadcom whatever it is and I would look and see what harwdware ID it is for. Once I know that much information then I can go find a driver for that specific hardware. That is how its done. 😘

Apologies Buddy I Misread what you Said to do I had been Messing Around with it all Day and Night for that Matter haha. Realised it was the MK1 right at the Last moment so Changed my Search Approach and hey Presto I Found them 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now for Sound under Dos there is a ESSDos Driver that can be Used with the Allegro but the Laptop has Assigned the Wrong Irq to the Soundcard for the Dos driver to pick it up. there is only a option in the bios to let the bios manage irq or the os, but the bios has no irq allocation Anywhere. is there a hidden menu with these old Beasts?

Reply 7 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows doesn't allow me to Change the IRQ Either. When trying to Load the Dos emulation Driver to theres mention of MPU 401 not being Detected and when I look in Device manager there isn't a MPU 401 Compatible Device in the menu? Maybe I can't get sound to run under Dos but everything is worth a go 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by nathanm1991

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

Dos may work if you load environmental variables in the autoexec.bat file just like a soundblaster does.

Had Luck with dos Recognising that the ESS Allegro is there after I placed essaudio.inf in root of C

it Recognises it but its on irq9 and no Games see it still so I am thinking maybe I need another driver for windows as I cannot see a legacy Driver option under device manager, only the Allegro Main driver.

I may be Wrong but I thought I would see 401 compatible driver and sb legacy driver to allocate irq dma etc