VOGONS

Barrel battery alternative ?

Topic actions

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 486 motherboard with a Barrel battery.
There is also a jumper to use an external battery.

Can I use a regular CR-2032 coin battery ?
Or do I need to use a rechargeable Lithium LIR-2032 battery ?

Also will these coin battery holders fit for replacing a barrel battery ?

Attachments

• s-l134234600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l134234600 (1).jpg
    File size
    48.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    74.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 32, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to use CR2032 battery you'll need a diode to prevent the board from trying to recharge the battery.

Or you can get these https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Super-Farad-Capacitor … N2Frezquxz0fbsw

They work pretty well and are drop in replacement (as long as you manage to solder both end to the moterboard obviously)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hamby wrote:

🤣 I just bought a pack of ten of those CR2032 holders in the hopes of replacing a 2032 battery.
Hopefully a rechargeable won't need the diode?

Lithium rechargeable cells are quite different to the original NiCd or NiMH cells included in most older boards. They have a very different charging profile and are more volatile if charged improperly. Feel free to do as you wish, but understand using them for an application where they weren't intended entails some risk.

If you have an external battery jack on your motherboard, why not try inserting a 10k resistor to test. If the circuit is non-rechargeable safe, you should see no voltage drop across the resistor (full drop across the blocking diode).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 32, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

If you want to use CR2032 battery you'll need a diode to prevent the board from trying to recharge the battery.

Or you can get these https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Super-Farad-Capacitor … N2Frezquxz0fbsw

They work pretty well and are drop in replacement (as long as you manage to solder both end to the moterboard obviously)

This is an interesting alternative. Do you know how long a super cap will keep the clock functioning and CMOS data intact? And could they be put in parallel for super duper capacitance?

Reply 7 of 32, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Charging resistor needs to be removed (100...470ohm) from the charging circuit, once that is done there are no problems with installing a lithium cell or any other non-rechargeable cell in the machine.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 10 of 32, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

Charging resistor needs to be removed (100...470ohm) from the charging circuit, once that is done there are no problems with installing a lithium cell or any other non-rechargeable cell in the machine.

But then you're running the RTC from the battery 100% of the time, yes? The charging circuit also seems to be the power supply for the RTC while the system is powered on. At least on my boards.

Reply 11 of 32, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On all my boards 5V takes over when power is applied so battery is never left on 100% of the time, only charging of battery gets disabled (battery remains at its voltage). I haven't had battery ran out on any of the boards yet either.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12 of 32, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, both of my 486 boards powered the RTC through the charging resistor. They have discrete crystal + feedback amp circuits for the oscillator near the battery area, but I suppose that could have been back-fed aux power through the trace that went from the battery to the RTC, which is integrated into the chipset. I hadn't checked that.

Reply 13 of 32, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just used an old phone battery and a cable with a plug from amazon

616UELQucyL._SL1200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MC2CSQ1/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61lG%2BrqK15L._SL1000_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NWD5NTN/ … 1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

same voltage, same rechargeable chemistry etc, but not on the board and removable and replaceable if I put it in storage.

Reply 14 of 32, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Lithium rechargeable cells are quite different to the original NiCd or NiMH cells included in most older boards. They have a very different charging profile and are more volatile if charged improperly. Feel free to do as you wish, but understand using them for an application where they weren't intended entails some risk.

What exactly are the risks? Through the years, I have used a rechargeable lithium on some of my boards. They work as such, and they never get warm. That said, I never turn on a vintage computer, more than some 2 hours.

The type I use, are this one.

I can see it would pose a potential risk, if I have the computer turned on for an 48 hour gaming session, yet I am too old to go that long without sleep, and I dont know anyone in real life that are interrested in an old school gaming/computer weekend, like the ones I attended before networking was a thing to have on a computer in private. (Between 1988 and 1992).

Right now, I only have one computer left, that has such a battery I linked to. And I soldered it on the motherboard around 6 to 8 months ago. Still works, never gets warm and I have only used the machine a couple of times and no more than 30 minutes each time.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15 of 32, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

External battery holder with 4 AA rechargable batteries or 3 AA non-rechargable batteries (use only if you are sure motherboard is not chargin through external battery port!).

OR

Supercapacitor

OR

Barrel battery mounted externally connected to external battery header (ideally mounted in some sort of enclosure).

Option 1 and 3 is how it was done in the past so is ideal, era-correct solution. Option 3 is elegant (there are some supercaps that look like a barrel battery). Electrohacker's solution is very good as well!

Personally I wouldn't use coin cell with diode.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 16 of 32, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the connector is like that for a NON-rechargeable battery. I assume the replacement might have been a Rayovac 4.5v alkaline computer clock battery.

So I think a 3 AAA battery holder should work with standard non-rechargeable AAA batteries.
or
A regular CR-2032 coin battery with holder should work.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

What exactly are the risks? Through the years, I have used a rechargeable lithium on some of my boards. They work as such, and they never get warm. That said, I never turn on a vintage computer, more than some 2 hours.

Worst case, exothermic reaction and fire.
https://www.aiche.org/sites/default/files/doc … onBatteries.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/3219 … er_Overcharging

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a recent setup I did on a 386SX: External battery header to a 3xAA battery holder; I use rechargeable AA batteries but recharge them externally when needed.

BEDC2-CDA-15-A1-4975-AFE9-CBE27555-CD78.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19 of 32, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Well the connector is like that for a NON-rechargeable battery

Are you sure?

Many motherboards will charge the battery hooked up to external battery connector. It was never standarized.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg