VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some back history.
I bought this board and CPU back in the day. I never thought that it would be desirable because this build was crazy then. I remember the AGP chipset was buggy and I was running a rage 128 and It required special drivers, that ATI had released specifically for this chipset. It was a nightmare getting it all running. On top of that originally It had a P 233MMX and I wanted to put a K62+ Mobile CPU in it. Thankfully Soyo had a BIOS update that enabled a K62+ 450 to run. This was a special CPU it was basically a K63+ but with half the cache and, I remember on this board I was able to get a stable 600 MHZ overclock at the time.

Other thing I remember about the board was buggy USB so for that I have found a pretty decent usb 2.0/fire wire controller that should run on 98se, this might come in useful. To deal with the buggy AGP I have here a compaq voodoo 3. Some people might know this is the fastest voodoo 3. I bought 2 of these cards as new old stock 3 years ago. Back then everyone wanted a voodoo 4 or 5 or voodoo 2 for some reason no body thought these cards were good. I think I paid 40 dollars for 2 new cards.

Anyways moving forward I am doing a serious build here, I have a slot cooler to keep my voodoo 3 cool. This is a very special slot clooler as u can see it is both a fan that can be rotated and a blower with a speed control

I have read about setmul to slow down the CPU and there are plenty of jumpers on this board so I want to try to get this down to 286/386 speeds. I might be able to do that without setmul on this board.

Soyo SY5EMA+ paired with a K6 2 + Edition 450mhz
Compaq Voodoo 3 183 MHZ

One thing that I want advice on is a sound card. I want a good ISA card with OPL3 any suggestions on that would be appreciated
qJpNoIt.jpg
icyY5BN.jpg
CsBCSWj.jpg
1Zl2D4c.jpg
vHvmZPu.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With an AMD K6-450 you can over clock to 550mhz. ( 5.5 x 100mhz ).
With the turbo button enabled you can cut the CPU speed in half to 333mhz.
In combination if you disable CPU L1 cache with "Setmul" utility you can reduce the CPU to a 200mhz speed.

Reply 2 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

will update the thread, once I got the CPU as low as it can go. 😘 Plan is to try and under clock it to 66mhz 1x if thats possible ,and disable the L3 and L2 cache, which I think I can do in the bios without setmul.

Reply 3 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

With an AMD K6-450 you can over clock to 550mhz. ( 5.5 x 100mhz ).

You can try for 600MHz (6x 100MHz) too, as 2x = 6x multiplier, frequently works, although the CPUs I've had work stably then needed 2.1V and were labled as >=500MHz

With the turbo button enabled you can cut the CPU speed in half to 333mhz.

Er, half of 550MHz isn't 333MHz...

In combination if you disable CPU L1 cache with "Setmul" utility you can reduce the CPU to a 200mhz speed.

Yep, setmul is your friend.

As for the OPL3, what else does it need to do/support?

If SBPro2 is good enough, Yamaha YMF71x cards (Audician) offer the best sound quality, with Aztech 3rd and 4th gen cards coming close behind, all lacking SB MIDI bugs too.

Reply 4 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was only able to downclock the CPU to 233mhz 66mhz bus with jumpers. Would setmul make it any slower. Otherthing I found out is this motherboard is permenant turbo, and I didn't find a way to turn that off.
Turned out I could disable the internal and external cache in the bios.
yQB5eAk.jpg
CzHDPez.jpg

Reply 5 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:
I was only able to downclock the CPU to 233mhz 66mhz bus with jumpers. Would setmul make it any slower. Otherthing I found out […]
Show full quote

I was only able to downclock the CPU to 233mhz 66mhz bus with jumpers. Would setmul make it any slower. Otherthing I found out is this motherboard is permenant turbo, and I didn't find a way to turn that off.
Turned out I could disable the internal and external cache in the bios.
yQB5eAk.jpg
CzHDPez.jpg

With “Setmul” ( set multiplier ) utility you can set the multiplier from 1x thru 5x with software and disable/enable CPU L1 cache.

You don’t need to mess with the bios or jumpers.

That is the convenience.
But I think for the AMD K6 450 ]
200mhz is as low as it will go.