VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I've bought an AGP card that has one broken trace going from AGP. Seller says it worked fine, but I'm a bit reluctant to try it out. The way it is, it looks like it was burnt with high current.

Should I attempt to repair the trace or try it out as it is?

The broken trace is B2 +5.0V by this pinout:
http://old.pinouts.ru/Slots/agp_pinout.shtml

Photos:
N7ip5cLm.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 8, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so it probably acted like a fuse and the trace burned up when a high current hit it, hopefully nothing after it burned up. Probably a faulty psu motherboard would be responsible. I would say fix the trace and try it out with a good psu. unless somebody wants to correct me

Reply 2 of 8, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
treeman wrote:

so it probably acted like a fuse and the trace burned up when a high current hit it, hopefully nothing after it burned up. Probably a faulty psu motherboard would be responsible. I would say fix the trace and try it out with a good psu. unless somebody wants to correct me

Likely this. It's an easy repair too, there's a convenient solder pad as well.
If you want to be paranoid, you can also put in a replacement SMD fuse to ensure that if it happens again, it doesn't damage the card:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfu … wK55CRtPQ%3D%3D

This is a little 5v 0.5a fuse. Should be fine for an AGP 5v rail.

Reply 3 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd suggest to first check out what made the trace blow.
If you just reconnect it, and your PSU does not have overcurrent protection, your mobo's traces might act as fuse when you try out the card.

Reply 4 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually the problem is a component on the graphics card when you get a burned trace on it. This is because something on the card drew too much current, heating up the trace providing power, then burned it off. I would fully inspect the card first, replacing dead/shorted components.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

I would fully inspect the card first, replacing dead/shorted components.

Looking at the photos now, I'd say the first challenge would be to find out how and why R99 and R100 disappeared.

Reply 6 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:
wiretap wrote:

I would fully inspect the card first, replacing dead/shorted components.

Looking at the photos now, I'd say the first challenge would be to find out how and why R99 and R100 disappeared.

True, it does look like they might have been removed. It doesn't look like an OEM blank pad with an automated solder flow. It appears a little rougher than normal, but it is a little hard to tell from the lighting in the picture without seeing different angles in motion.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8 of 8, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What card is it? find pics online of others of the same model and see if R99/R100 are occupied.
Maybe someone here has the same card and can test them to see their values, or maybe they were always meant to be empty?